Help with an ID

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Katalyst
Egg
Egg

Help with an ID

Post by Katalyst »

A friend of mine send me some new shrimp today and I'm wondering about their ID. I have attached the names the shrimp were sold to her under. I'm wondering if anyone could positively id them. I couldn't get a more detailed photo so hopefully these are suitable enough.
Thank you in advance!

Kate

Trade name: Blue Indian Whisker Shrimp

Spider Shrimp
maxcow
Egg
Egg

Re: Help with an ID

Post by maxcow »

looks like a microbranchium species what species is a mystery to me
Katalyst
Egg
Egg

Post by Katalyst »

Thanks, I figured they were macro's. I should have been more specific in my question, I'm hoping to find their scientific name for a more positive id.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

maxcow wrote: microbranchium species
Let's make that "Macrobrachium", there is nothing "micro" about these guys. As for species...no idea...I'm almost certain, though, that the first and second animal are not the same species. Can't tell what the third one is from that picture and angle.
Katalyst
Egg
Egg

Post by Katalyst »

Mustafa wrote:
maxcow wrote: microbranchium species
Let's make that "Macrobrachium", there is nothing "micro" about these guys. As for species...no idea...I'm almost certain, though, that the first and second animal are not the same species. Can't tell what the third one is from that picture and angle.
The first one was sold under the label 'blue whisker shrimp'. The second & third photo are of the same shrimp which were sold under the label 'Spider Shrimp'.

Thank you for your input, these guys haven't been easy to photograph. Their quarentine tanks are set up in a darker part of my fishroom. Once they are out of qt and have colored up hopefully I will have some better shots.
maxcow
Egg
Egg

Post by maxcow »

sarry mustafa,
i just miss spelled and i know they are not small i keep the red-claws