Ghost Shrimp with Red Spot/Disease

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

nelo
Egg
Egg

Ghost Shrimp with Red Spot/Disease

Post by nelo »

I got some new Ghost Shrimp last Sunday, 20 of them for $1, because out of my current Ghost Shrimp that I raised from babies, only one is female (other 9 male) and she eats all the babies no matter what I do... so I needed some more females.

A few deaths were expected, as they are feeders, but I was especially surprised by a couple males with red markings on their back. One had just one red spot, and the other had a group of little red spots, pictured below.

Without flash:

With flash:

After a head count the next day, the one with the small red dot must have died and been eaten, along with another one somewhere along the way, but the one pictured was still alive, so I put him in a tupperware cup next to one of my isolated females (all my new females are in separate cups so they can drop their babies). However, he must have jumped out during the night... I've never had one do that before.

I found this thread on it viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2664&p=24392&hilit=red+spot#p24392 but it really doesn't help much. If it is bacterial, do you think the rest all have it and just aren't showing it yet? Is it in the water? Will my java moss infect others if I put it in another tank? How long should I quarentine them to see if they're okay? I even have babies from one of the new females... I hope they're be okay.
nelo
Egg
Egg

Re: Ghost Shrimp with Red Spot/Disease

Post by nelo »

The remaining males are still in quarentine. At least one of them now has the red spots also... I worry about them... luckily, none of the females that I bought with them, that are being kept together seperate from the males, have shown signs of the disease. If all goes well, I'll probably add the females in next month to my main tank, but the males... I just don't know what to do with them. No more deaths or anything, but still the red spot disease. =/
mithrius
Egg
Egg

Re: Ghost Shrimp with Red Spot/Disease

Post by mithrius »

maybe it is a curled up wormie inside of him?