Crayfish as snail control?

This forum is read-only.

Moderator: Mustafa

toanxtoan
Egg
Egg

Crayfish as snail control?

Post by toanxtoan »

so i have a snail problem in my planted tank.

I'm looking for a way to erradicate them my using a combination of puffers, loaches, and crayfish.

are there any snail eating crays that are plant-safe?
angry pirate
Larva
Larva

Re: Crayfish as snail control?

Post by angry pirate »

to my knowledge there isn't any cray variety that is 100% safe although if there is plenty to eat in the tank they shouldn't bother your plants too much. i've kept procambus vasquezae and they seem not to bother the fauna much and from a friend i've heard they love to crunch and much lil snails!
hope that helps
TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by TKD »

Try Assain Snails
JohnPaul
Larva
Larva

Post by JohnPaul »

Well FWIW, a few years back I had just gobs and gobs (100+, maybe 200+) snails in a 29g community tank. I put in one Yo-Yo Loach and I would say within about 3 weeks there was not a single living snail to be found anywhere in the tank. It was absolutely amazing.

So I don't know how big your tank or your snail problem is, but I am having a hard time imaging *any* snail problem that a handful of loaches couldn't handle.
toanxtoan
Egg
Egg

Post by toanxtoan »

JohnPaul,

I would guess i have maybe 1000-ish? I will go with yo-yos, maybe 5 of them, but what i'm trying to do is eliminate them. forever.

i will post back on how it turns out. my guess is that if I go with yo yos and crays and let them work the tank for a while, i can remove the fish and crays and be snail-free if i avoid introduction of a new snail culture.

i've been removing them a few hundred at a time with no success whatsoever. everytime i remove 100, i see 200 baby snails crawl out from under a rock.

toan
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

what kind of snail ?
And think of what TKD say, Snail assassins feed on snail :)