Is a 10G tank absolutely essential?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

fatpigkenny
Egg
Egg

Is a 10G tank absolutely essential?

Post by fatpigkenny »

Hi all, glad I found some like minded people here!

There's a product from Japan called Holuholu - basically a tiny desktop box with a shrimp in it

I really wanted one, but since they are not available in the US, I went to the pet shop to try and do it properly

I live in a tiny Manhattan flat, so they recommended me a 1 Gallon tank - BIG MISTAKE! (everything I have read suggested 10 G)

I bought 4 to begin with, they all died within 3-4 days. However the water I put in to begin with was warmish - i.e. there was hot water and therefore might contain copper.

So I want to give it another go. My question is, is the 10 G tanks really essential? I know it's a harder, but can I try with the 1 G tank again? or will they definitely die off.....

thanks guys

Kenny
Sal
Egg
Egg

Re: Is a 10G tank absolutely essential?

Post by Sal »

I am no shrimp expert having only cherry shrimp and than only 2 weeks but do keep fish and the greater the volume of water the easier it is to keep fish,inverts as toxins,etc take much more time to accumulate and simply more room for animals to avoid each other.

Have you considered a 5 gallon desktop type set up ? If still to big consider the 3 gall size type .

Online places sell many types.
Carlo
Larva
Larva

Post by Carlo »

Hey there. I have to say that a 10G tank is the smallest I would go with. Shrimp are quite fragile and require very good water quality which is easier to maintain in a larger tank. Also, do not forget to cycle your water. A little bit of waste in a small aquarium can result in rapidly increasing ammonia, which will kill your shrimp.

A 10 gallon tank fits well on a small stand in a corner.

Good luck to you!
knuui
Egg
Egg

Post by knuui »

When you say you bought 4 shrimps, what species are they? Do you have filter for your 1 gallon tank? Did you just put them straight in tank? Is the tank fully cycled?
knuui
Egg
Egg

Post by knuui »

I'm having a 1 gallon tank, only 2 crs, for about 3 weeks, they are quite active now.