Opae Ula and brown algae

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

hypn
Egg
Egg

Opae Ula and brown algae

Post by hypn »

I have had my opae Ula tank with 5 shrimp running for approx. a month. I keep the salinity level as suggested by Mustafa and rely purely on a sponge for filtration purposes.

Unfortunately brown algae has now started taking over the tank. Because the tank is triangular I have trouble cleaning the in the corners and at the same time the tank is starting to look terrible. I do not want to disturb the shrimp because I want to encourage breeding but at the same time the need for a cleaner tank is obvious - any suggestions on what to do.

Another quick question/comment
I walked into a pet store the other day to find they have several Opae Ula breeding in what was most definitely a freshwater tank. There were several freshwater plants in the tank and these guys were moving amongst the plants. I know these guys are hardy but surely they would not breed and thrive under those circumstances ?

Any help would be appreciated
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Opae Ula and brown algae

Post by Mustafa »

Just clean the tank...the shrimp will be fine...just don't disturb the substrate. Just clean the glass.

As for them living and breeding in freshwater....they can live and probably breed at very low salinities 2-3 ppt. Some plants do well at those salinities, too. However, they won't survive for long in complete freshwater (i.e. tap water). Plus..how do you know those shrimp in the planted tank were breeding? Did you see any larvae?
hypn
Egg
Egg

Re: Opae Ula and brown algae

Post by hypn »

Hi Mustafa,

I have no evidence that they are breeding other than for the fact that the owner claimed to have started with a culture of 10. There were approx. 30 at the time I viewed them. Thanks for the advice on the brown algae. Time to climb and remove the algae :D