round, square or traingular ?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

hypn
Egg
Egg

round, square or traingular ?

Post by hypn »

Hi
I have been looking at various Opae Ula, breeding systems and two things that get mentioned often is
1. Cylindrical tank - Is this a better choice for the natural habitat above a square or triangular tank.
2. Active Movers - I have one who seems to enjoys swimming, the others are pretty docile, are mine just lazy or am I causing the lazy behaviour
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: round, square or traingular ?

Post by Mustafa »

The shape of the container does not matter. As for "active"...healthy and happy shrimp of any kind pick on the substrate...if they are swimming around, then something is up...either they are not feeling well or a female just molted (and released some kind of hormones/smell) and a bunch of males are looking for her to mate with her.
Carlo
Larva
Larva

Post by Carlo »

Mustafa wrote:The shape of the container does not matter. As for "active"...healthy and happy shrimp of any kind pick on the substrate...if they are swimming around, then something is up...either they are not feeling well or a female just molted (and released some kind of hormones/smell) and a bunch of males are looking for her to mate with her.
How long of a swim would start to be suspicious of something wrong? What if they are frequently swimming to another feeding spot?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

If most or all of your shrimp are just swimming around all day long for days, then I'd be suspicious...if they just swim somewhere and continue picking at the substrate then they're fine.
Carlo
Larva
Larva

Post by Carlo »

Great! Thanks for the heads up; something to keep an eye on.
loraxchatter
Egg
Egg

Post by loraxchatter »

i notice that my opae ulas swim around a lot in the evening when it starts to get dark (my tank is close to a window). this happens everyday. they appear healthy. some are berried. other times, they are just sitting around and feeding?