Newbie with probably a really dumb question

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

pstephen2000
Egg
Egg

Newbie with probably a really dumb question

Post by pstephen2000 »

I have a planted tank. It is gorgeous. Boring, but gorgeous. My plants are really healthy and everything is hunky dory. But boring. Did I mention my tank is boring? Anyway, I'd like to add some invertebrates. Here is the big question. Do I need a cover for my aquarium? I don't use one at the moment. And I would like to add some Malaysian Rainbow shrimp, Brazilian yellow bellied grass shrimp and some Nerite snails or Golden clams. My tank is 30 gallons. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated greatly. Thank you for your time and patience......Pat
JohnPaul
Larva
Larva

Re: Newbie with probably a really dumb question

Post by JohnPaul »

There are no species of freshwater shrimp that I am aware of that would choose (or even be able to) leave the water, even in an uncovered tank. Most freshwater crab species will, and many freshwater crays will. But shrimp? Nope. The real value of a cover in such situations is that it greatly reduces the amount of water lost due to evaporation. It also helps some in maintaining the tank temperature. But other than that, there are no issues in keeping shrimps in an uncovered tank. Don't think it would be an issue with the nerites either--at the very least, I've never seen my nerites attempt to climb up out of the water.
Kunsthure
Egg
Egg

Re: Newbie with probably a really dumb question

Post by Kunsthure »

The woman I bought my amanos from told me she had lost quite a few to escape attempts because her tanks aren't covered. Smaller shrimp can't get around without water, but I have personally watched my amanos walk on my counter top when they jumped out of the net. I'm sure bamboo and vampires can walk out of water as well. I'd keep a cover on it just to be safe.

-Lisa