H. rubra larvae question

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

gr81
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

H. rubra larvae question

Post by gr81 »

Hi,
should I ask how long larvae stage lasts? I read in Mustafa article "few days", but my float 10 days :shock:
Is it normal?
gr81
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: H. rubra larvae question

Post by gr81 »

Well,
I answer myself :)
I found larvae lasts 24-27days at 22-23C.
If we count 38days to hatch... it is quite long development.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

This is from last year:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3189&p=28804&hilit= ... ays#p28804

Check out my post all the way at the bottom. I have written about hatch times and larval stage duration a few times before over the years. The times given above are at around 80 degrees Fahrenheit (26.6 degrees Celcius). There will be a major update to the site soon, so all these numbers will find their way to the species description pages. 24-27 days sounds a bit extreme (and unlikely) even if you consider that your temperatures are lower than mine. You may have had several batches of larvae floating around, without noticing that you have several batches, and maybe didn't notice that the first batch already went benthic. So probably you observed the first batch, then the second batch and added their larval times together.
gr81
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by gr81 »

Thank you for answer Mustafa.
I have only 10 adults, and only 2 females was carrying. So I have only 1 (2) batch.
Mentioned times aren´t my observed times, but times I found on web (some seahorse forum).
Mine are floating for 15days now. Temp ca. 76f

edit: They started to metamorphose,