My Iwagumi Shrimp Tank "Mt. Sinai"

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

vandominic
Larva
Larva

Re: My Iwagumi Shrimp Tank "Mt. Sinai"

Post by vandominic »

I like all my shrimps but I'm really fascinated with my Pinocchio shrimps (Caridina gracilirostris) a.k.a. Red Nose Shrimps, Rhino Shrimps, Rudolf Shrimps, Mosquito Shrimps. Here are more of their photos:

vandominic
Larva
Larva

Post by vandominic »

Nerite Snails

1. Zebra Nerite

2. Thick Banded Zebra Nerite

3. Zigzag Nerite

4. Tiger Nerite

5. Horned Dotted Nerite

6. Horned Bumblebee Nerite

7. Tricolor Nerite

8. Orange Tracked Nerite

9. Sunset Nerite

vandominic
Larva
Larva

Post by vandominic »

Mr. "Black" and Mrs. "Yellow" Nerites have a son "BY" ;)

They also have a daughter "Bumblebee" :D

vandominic
Larva
Larva

Post by vandominic »

But Mrs. "Yellow" also has a son by Mr. "Red" and his name is "Spain"

vandominic
Larva
Larva

Post by vandominic »

But Mrs. "Yellow" had another guy, Mr. "Zebra"

And this is their daughter (I still don't know her name).

And this is their family photo.

vandominic
Larva
Larva

Post by vandominic »

It's Nerite party time! :D

demonte1997
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by demonte1997 »

Gosh, even your snails look amazing. Huge props on your setup.

I was going to ask about the Macros. Being the prawn dork I am, I know they usually don't play well with others (small and large alike). :)
vandominic
Larva
Larva

Post by vandominic »

Ya. I made a terrible mistake in my super red cherry tank. Mixed several Macros there. After a few days. The super rcs tank became pure Macro tank. :( Lost all my super rcs.
vandominic
Larva
Larva

Post by vandominic »

Tank updates for October 31, 2011

demonte1997
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by demonte1997 »

That tank looks like a shangri la for shrimp. Lovin it.

Eventually I will make a few of my tanks look like that when I stock up on more prawn species. People say they tear apart tanks but I have faith. :)
vandominic
Larva
Larva

Post by vandominic »

demonte1997 wrote:That tank looks like a shangri la for shrimp. Lovin it.

Eventually I will make a few of my tanks look like that when I stock up on more prawn species. People say they tear apart tanks but I have faith. :)

I'm pretty sure you would be able to make a great tank for your prawns sir! :) Thanks for commenting! :angel:
vandominic
Larva
Larva

Post by vandominic »

More Nerites!

1. Tricolor Nerite

2. Paperline Nerite

3. Cherry Nerite

4. Sunset Nerites

5. Cherries with Sunsets

6. Spain Nerites "Viva Espana!"

7. "Party! Party! Party! Party!"

Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

You have an awesome collection there! Is that colorful Machrobrachium native to the Philippines or did you buy it as an import from a store? Do you have a male of this species? The one in the picture is definitely a female.
The Philippines have a bunch of very interesting shrimp, so it would be interesting for you to undertake a little expedition into the wild to see what kind of shrimp live in creeks, rivers, ponds, and lakes of your region.

By the way, the shrimp in the first picture on page one is not a Palaemonetes...it's a Caridina sp.. I know that in Asia lots of colorless Caridina sp. are simply called "ghost shrimp", so that's why you may have gotten confused about the name of your shrimp. Those "red stone shrimp" are spectacular! Too bad they seem to have tiny eggs (i.e. salt water larvae) and thus are hard to breed.
vandominic
Larva
Larva

Post by vandominic »

Hello sir Mustafa!

Except for my rcs and super rcs, all my shrimps and nerites are my personal collections from the wild here in our area. ;) I may have collected both the males and the females of that red Macro you were referring to but I gave them to someone else. Will change the name of my glass shrimp. Thanks sir. Ya, my friends and I are trying to breed these wild caught shrimps in captivity. My friend's wife bred ninjas, neowilds and white line bees that I caught. Hope the rest would also breed successfully soon. ;)Thanks for having me here in your wonderful forum.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Wow, you're a very lucky person to have such variety pretty much right next door to you. :) In which area of the Philippines do you live? I'm glad you and your friends are trying to breed the shrimp with saltwater larvae. There are way too few people out there trying to breed them. Sure, it's more effort to breed them, but it is absolutely worth it in my opinion. As for the macros...did you, or the person you gave them to, ever observe eggs? Were they large or small? How big (in centimeters) are these macros approximately? I really, really like these guys. :)

By the way, if you can find the time try to go inland...as far away from the coast as possible...you will probably find shrimp there that are completely different from the ones closer to the coast...most of them should also have larger eggs and produce benthic little shrimp instead of saltwater larvae. Who knows..maybe you'll even find undescribed species. Freshwater shrimp are still not very well documented all over the world.

vandominic wrote:Hello sir Mustafa!

Except for my rcs and super rcs, all my shrimps and nerites are my personal collections from the wild here in our area. ;) I may have collected both the males and the females of that red Macro you were referring to but I gave them to someone else. Will change the name of my glass shrimp. Thanks sir. Ya, my friends and I are trying to breed these wild caught shrimps in captivity. My friend's wife bred ninjas, neowilds and white line bees that I caught. Hope the rest would also breed successfully soon. ;)Thanks for having me here in your wonderful forum.