Hemimysis anomala, Freshwater Mysis

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Hemimysis anomala, Freshwater Mysis

Post by Newjohn »

Mustafa wrote:
Newjohn wrote: I am jealous, all I can collect locally is Black/Brown Crayfish.
John

Actually, that's not true. ;) You have access to Lake Michigan where a very interesting species of freshwater Mysis now lives. The species is called Hemimysis anomala and has been accidentally introduced from the Caspian sea. They would make perfect companions to shrimp. Here are some links to infos and videos (they are actually much nicer looking than it appears on the videos). The last video portrays the colors of H. anomala best, but you have to fast forward a little bit to get to them. The benthic shrimp in all the videos are the European/Mediterranean freshwater shrimp Atyaephra desmaresti:

http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/res/Programs/ ... ocols.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsnSG3hzFqQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeeaTM1r ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmAWP-AY ... re=related

So, go out there and get me some H. anomala! :-D
Thanks Mustafa,
For reminding me of another Evasive Species in the Great Lakes.
At least I can try and keep this Species in one of my tanks.

But first I must ask a few questions.

1. Seeing that the water temperature of Lake Michigan, even in the summer time is COLD.
Would I have to keep a cold water tank ?
They would make perfect companions to shrimp
2. Does this Species behave similar to the Salt Water Mysis ?
I know that the Saltwater version eat their own young.
and
Do they reproduce as fast as the Saltwater counter parts ?
If they do, it seems like they would soon over run the tank.

Either way,
I will be attempting to collect enough to start a few Colonies.
That is,
As soon as it warms up a little. I do not own a Cold Water Wet Suit.

Thanks
For the Video Links.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Hemimysis anomala, Freshwater Mysis

Post by Mustafa »

1. Seeing that they occur in the Black and Capian seas, where summer water temperatures can get quite warm (I've personally experienced 80+ degrees in the Black sea) I don't think they necessarily have to live in ice cold water. Most literature refers to actually one paper that seems to conclude that this species "prefers" (did they ask the species? :-D) a temperature range of 9 to 20 degrees Celsius (48.2 to 68 degrees Fahrenheit). At least one source says that they have been observed in their habitats at temperatures ranging from 0 to 28 degrees Celsius (32 to 82.4 degrees Fahrenheit). This leaves open the possibility that they may actually do just fine (and breed) at warmer temperatures, especially if enough oxygen is provided. They are not like native freshwater mysis, who literally need to be kept in your refrigerator (with airation of course :lol: ) to feel happy (and not die on you). H. anomala obviously does not need a heater, but I'd say they should do just fine continuously at around 68-72 degrees. Only experience will tell.

2. It looks like H. anomala is less cannibalistic. It only seems to go after the young if there isn't enough other food around. At least that's what my research suggests so far. Also, they breed all the time, but their broods are very small, maybe 20-30 larvae. I don't think they have overrun anyone's tanks yet (some Germans are trying to keep and breed them as they have become naturalized in German rivers and people can just go out and catch them).

If you want to go catch them, you'd have to do lots of research about where they are most likely to swarm and during what times of the year the swarms are most numerous. Also, they appear to swarm only during certain times of the day... I had told our old forum member "badflash" about this species years ago (since he lives near the lakes in New York state) and I don't think he found anything. But then...he did not go in with a wet suit like you are planning to. :-D Plus, these guys are so small that you may be looking straight at them and still not notice that they are there.

Well, if you go out there at some point, keep us updated.
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

If you want to go catch them
Of Coarse I want to collected a few. :D
you'd have to do lots of research about where they are most likely to swarm and during what times of the year the swarms are most numerous
I have already been looking into if any Local Hobbyist have seen them or even heard that they are in the " Big Lake "
They Collect the Fresh Water Jelly Fish, I hope they have tried to collect these Mysis. It will save me a lot of time.
I had told our old forum member "badflash" about this species years ago
I do remember that Thread & badflash.
these guys are so small that you may be looking straight at them and still not notice that they are there.
I guess I will have to make a Small Opening Mesh Net and Troll for them.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Newjohn wrote:I have already been looking into if any Local Hobbyist have seen them or even heard that they are in the " Big Lake "
They Collect the Fresh Water Jelly Fish, I hope they have tried to collect these Mysis. It will save me a lot of time.
They probably don't even know that this type of animals exists given the fact that it has only been introduced to the big lakes a few years ago. Maybe you should tell them. :-D They can't be looking for something that they don't even know exists.
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

Maybe you should tell them.
I have been informing as many Hobbyist as I can.
More people looking for these will be a lot easier.

I want to keep and Breed them.
And I know that a few Hobbyist/Breeders will want them for a live food source.

I will keep everyone posted.
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

With a little research via Google :D
I have some good leads on locations to collect and they are just one hour away.
Finding a parking spot on the Beach will be another task.

I just hope that the:
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Great Lakes Environmental Research Laboratory, 1431 Beach Street, Muskegon, Michigan 49441
Will be interested in giving me some pointers on where to find them.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

That's good news! One hour is not bad at all. Beats the hell out of flying somewhere to collect an animal... You may actually have to make the trip several times to find these guys...just don't get discouraged. :) Remember, this is all part of your relaxation regimen. :-D
Newjohn wrote:With a little research via Google :D
I have some good leads on locations to collect and they are just one hour away.
Finding a parking spot on the Beach will be another task.

I just hope that the:
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Great Lakes Environmental Research Laboratory, 1431 Beach Street, Muskegon, Michigan 49441
Will be interested in giving me some pointers on where to find them.
northboy
Egg
Egg

Post by northboy »

Keep at it John, we have a number of fresh water species in central Australia. So it will be dam interesting to see how you go, as I have often thought about growing them my self?.

Some species show up on top of Eyre's Rock after rain?

Regards Bob
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

Bob,
Thanks for the information.

As soon as it warms up a little, I will be attempting to locate them.
I have pinpointed a couple of spots that they were collected before. The only problem is, that most of the shoreline is private High $$$ Homes and I do not own a boat.
Lake Michigan " The Big lake " can have 6 foot waves on a nice windy day. So, the few sheltered areas will be my best bet.

I will keep the updates coming as I have more information.

John
northboy
Egg
Egg

Post by northboy »

It will be dam interesting to see if they can be produced in the same numbers as there saline cousins, if they can and are small enough at hatch, they will be a boom for the industry.
Can you imagine having another food to leave with young fish to eat at there pleasure. I imagine that there will be a wide variety of species and sizes, also a wide variety of temperature and water conditions specific species, if we as a hobby ever get into them?

Regards Bob
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

I really never thought of them as a Food Source.
Fish Breeders are always looking for a New Live Food.

I was hoping to get a colony going and Replacing the " Sea Monkey " :idea:
What a great way to get children into the Shrimp Hobby.
And they will be interesting to have in my Invert Room.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Newjohn wrote:I really never thought of them as a Food Source.
Fish Breeders are always looking for a New Live Food.
Interesting that you should mention that...I got my first red cherry shrimp in order to breed them as a "live in" live food source for my angelfish. There was some moss in the tank in which the shrimp were supposed to hide and reproduce so that the angelfish can continuously feed on them. Of course the angelfish just ate the whole group I put in their tanks within a few days. Luckily, I was not entirely stupid and kept another group for breeding in their own tank (in case my "live food" experiment went wrong). The offspring of those guys are still here...9 years later.

In any case, I think H. anomala is a *very* interesting species and deserves more than just being thought of as a food source.
aquagrrl
Egg
Egg

Post by aquagrrl »

Hi Everyone! I'm new here, I found this thread while searching for information on how to collect Hemimysis anomala and thought I should come back and share my success now that I've found them. I breed seahorses, so I thought they may make a good food. I know that's not what you all would use them for but I thought you all might appreciate where and how to get them.

First, I'm a little slow on the uptake; I knew we had Mysis relicta (now Mysis diluviana) in Lake Michigan but I always thought they'd be much too hard to catch from shore. It wasn't until I had a seahorse that wasn't eating and I needed live mysis for that I stumbled across the article about Hemimysis anomala being in the great lakes.

Of course I had to go try and find it.

My first attempts with looking for swarms (supposedly common in late summer) and under piers did not work. I also tried blindly dip netting in dark places I thought they might be; under piers and along a break wall. This may work for some people, and it's one of the ways that NOAA has sampled them, but I have a medical condition that wears me down quickly, so I couldn't do that much so that might be why I missed them. I thought I'd include that so if anyone wanted to try that approach, it still might work.

The next attempts bore fruit. I looked at NOAA's sampling protocol guide:
http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/res/Programs/ ... ocols.html

And built the soda bottle trap. It wasn't exactly the same, but close enough. I found a pier at a park and baited the trap with squid and baby brine shrimp. The squid was used because it's supposed to be a natural attractant. I tied them off to the pier and left the traps overnight. The first time, someone messed with the traps even though I had written "Plankton Sampling Traps, please do not disturb" on them. I could see one being messed with, but not the second one so someone was being a jerk. But, the person that did it, placed them on shore with a few inches of water, and even so, I still managed to get some mysis! Somewhere around 20-30 between the two traps.

The next time I went, I brought 3 traps, and this time they were not disturbed. I caught around 100 this time. I had tried them at different depths, floating at 2ft, 4ft, and just off the bottom. The one that was just off the bottom appears to have had the best results. Though it was only one try, multiple tries would probably be needed to confirm this.

Right now, I'm keeping them in a 5 gallon bucket while I watch their behavior and decide what to do with them. I have the two groups in separate buckets. They are very light sensitive and do not like even small amounts of light. I haven't seen any young, though just recently noticed some gravid females. I don't know if they are cannibalistic or not; I've read that they're not as cannibalistic as other mysis, but not seeing any babies makes me wonder about that.

One thing I feel it's important to mention is that I'm not sure about the legality of collecting and owning these. Wisconsin has them on their prohibited list. I tried to find out the specifics of the law, and some parts say it's illegal to transport them period, others say it's illegal to transport them where they might accidentally or purposely be released into waterways. Still another part says that keeping invasive species as a pet is okay as long as there isn't a chance they'll be released BUT excludes fish and crayfish (but this is neither so?)? So I'm not sure. I decided to take the risk because these will never see anything outside a seahorses belly. But others should be warned.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Thanks for your detailed report! :) Please come back and report on the progress you make with them. If you can breed them in larger numbers your seahorses will be some very happy campers.
aquagrrl
Egg
Egg

Post by aquagrrl »

I will! I noticed some new babies a couple days ago. I'm still just trying to get a "feel" for them. The babies were in the bucket that I started to increase the salinity on, but I don't know if that is really related or not. I also started covering the buckets at night so they'll get more darkness. They also seem to be acclimating more to light, coming out to feed when I offer baby brine shrimp.