Just to say hi!

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

winwin
Larva
Larva

Just to say hi!

Post by winwin »

Hello,

I'm from Hong Kong and just heard about your site. Cheers!

P.S. Can we post photo at this site, and how? Thanks.
Piscesgirl
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Piscesgirl »

Hello winwin!

You can post pictures, but you have to link them from a photo hosting site, i.e. imagestation, photobucket, etc. Some others may have better recommendations.
winwin
Larva
Larva

Post by winwin »

Thanks again Piscesgirl,

too bad, I dont' know my own site... :? otherwise I would really like to share some of my shrimps with you guys.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Hi Winwin,

I am actually curious about your "blue shrimp." I am trying to see if they are the same ones I am thinking of.

Just send me a picture of those shrimp and I'll post it in the forum. Click on the email button to email me.

Take care,
Mustafa
winwin
Larva
Larva

Post by winwin »

sorry, couldn't find any 'email button'. Please advice, I'll be happy to send u photo.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Go to this link to see my email. I am not posting it here since I do not want SpamBots to pick it up and send me spam:

http://petshrimp.com/contact.html

Take care,
Mustafa
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

One of WinWin's blue shrimp

Post by Mustafa »

Hi guys,

I just wanted to post one of WinWin's blue shrimp as promised:

Take care,
Mustafa
Piscesgirl
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Piscesgirl »

What a beautiful shrimp, Winwin!
Bradimus
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Bradimus »

Anyone know its scientific name? I heard there is a blue variety of N. denticulata.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Hi Brad,

There are several possibilies as to which species this might be. Usually, N. denticulata sinensis has some blue individuals and I could imagine that selective breeding could produce a blue strain.

This picture, however, doesn ot seem to be N. denticulata sinensis since the rostrum ("nose") of this shrimp looks different. Caridina babaulti is also known to have blue individuals and even different colored strains (not just green). My caridina babaulti show green, red, yellow, brown, orange and some other interesting colors...all in the same animals depending on mood and evironment I guess. Many other shrimp species also change color.

Having said that, without looking at this shrimp under the microscope and comparing it to scientific literature, it's almost impossible to figure out what it actually is.

I am supposedly getting some "blue shrimp" in the mail today. We'll see if they look anything like this one. I'll post some pictures of those shrimp if they actually turn out to be blue (you never know nowadays).

Take care,
Mustafa
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Congrats Piscesgirl! You are now a "Larva" (50 posts and above), and the first one on this board at that! :D :smt035 :smt038 :smt041 :smt023

Take care,
Mustafa
winwin
Larva
Larva

Post by winwin »

Thanks Piscesgirl.

Actually this 'blue' shrimp comes in many different shade/color. In my tank, I have light blue, deep blue, blue with golden stripe on back, red-brown, white with many brown dots. The last one mentioned is quite nice looking actually. If anyone like a photo of it, please leave me your email and I'll send it to you. Cheers. :D
Piscesgirl
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Piscesgirl »

LOL I'm a larvae -- thank you :) I tend to be a prolific poster even when I don't want to be/don't have time to be.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Ooops...I meant to say "Tiny Shrimp", not Larva (Larvae = plural, Larva = singular)! LOL Sorry...50+ posts makes you a Tiny Shrimp. You've already progressed from Egg to Larva and now you have molted to a Tiny Shrimp. ;)

Mustafa
Piscesgirl
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Piscesgirl »

Oh my. Well, I've definitely been called a tiny shrimp multiple times in my life! (I'm only 4'11"). This is the first time it's a good thing, though! :P