Just to say hi!

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Bradimus
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Bradimus »

Petshrimp.com wrote:This picture, however, doesn ot seem to be N. denticulata sinensis since the rostrum ("nose") of this shrimp looks different.
Thanks, Mustafa. Now that I know where to look, I can definitely see the difference.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Hi Brad,

I should probably post a page with names and descriptions of shrimp body parts and distinguishing features, so everyone knows what to look for to distinguish shrimp species. That's a lot of work, though, so it might take me a while to put up a page like that.

Mustafa
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Piscesgirl wrote:Oh my. Well, I've definitely been called a tiny shrimp multiple times in my life! (I'm only 4'11"). This is the first time it's a good thing, though! :P
The context definitely matters. :wink:

Take care,
Mustafa
Bradimus
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Bradimus »

Petshrimp.com wrote:I should probably post a page with names and descriptions of shrimp body parts and distinguishing features, so everyone knows what to look for to distinguish shrimp species. That's a lot of work, though, so it might take me a while to put up a page like that.
Sounds like alot of work. Maybe you could start with just a glossary of terms and add the distinguishing features later. While I'm throwing out suggestions, maybe you could add 'Hardiness Rating' to the shrimp varieties. It would be completely subjective, but still might be helpful.

Thanks for all the work/help/info. :D
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

The reason I do not have a hardness or PH rating is because many of the shrimp species adjust to different water conditions. Where they occur naturally not every river has same hardness or PH....it all varies. I know some websites have totally arbitrary PH and harness ratings listed, but I tend to rely more on fact than assumptions. ;)

Mustafa
Pigheaddd
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Pigheaddd »

Hi winwin,

A question for you. Do people call blue shrimp " black shell shrimp" in Chinese?

Thanks,
winwin
Larva
Larva

Post by winwin »

Well, for that particular species, we just call it 'blue shrimp' (including all the shades).

One question for u guys. Approximately how much does it cause for a 'tiger stripe', 'bumble bee', 'blue ', 'red cherry', 'crystal red' at England or United States. just for comparsion... :-D
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Depends on where you buy it. Some places charge less and some places charge more. The shrimp you buy in stores are always imports. Besides, there are really not many places to buy shrimp in the US. The hobby here is still in its infancy. Most aquarium stores would give you a weird look if you asked them for those shrimp.

Mustafa
Last edited by Mustafa on Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
winwin
Larva
Larva

Post by winwin »

I understood perfectly. That's why I am just looking for an 'estimate' cost. For instance, in Hong KOng I can buy Tiger shrimp for approximately $0.3U.S. Dollar, is that cheap?
Bradimus
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Bradimus »

That is quite cheap. I would expect to pay 10 times that much for a tiger shrimp *IF* I could find them. The ghost/glass shrimp that are usually sold as feeder shrimp sell for about US$0.1--$0.2.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Those "ghost shrimp" should not be that cheap. They are some of the most interesting shrimp around! In Europe they would pay several dollars for each if they could get them. The reason why Tiger, Bee, Bumblebee shrimp etc. are so cheap in Hong Kong is because they are from that region. Nobody seems to really appreciate the shrimp from their own regions.

If you want an idea about how expensive shrimp can be here, check this website out:

http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/n ... earch.html

Lots of retail stores have similar prices actually, although mostly not quite as expensive.

Mustafa
Bradimus
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Bradimus »

I agree. Ghost shrimp are what got me started.
winwin
Larva
Larva

Post by winwin »

Holy Cow!

Shrimp-lover like me is really in "Shrimp Heaven" in Hong Kong (now that I know how much it caused in U.S)!!! :twisted: :twisted:
deliverme314
Egg
Egg

Post by deliverme314 »

Is that glosso or marsilea in the pic? My carpet is M.Quadrifolia and it makes a beautiful spread. And a great place for all my N.Deniculata hatchlings to hide. Water changes can be a pain as I am always having to shut the python off to get babies out... but I guess with out it I probobly wouldnt have all the babies!

Any more pics?
deliverme314
Egg
Egg

Post by deliverme314 »

Petshrimp.com wrote:Those "ghost shrimp" should not be that cheap. They are some of the most interesting shrimp around! In Europe they would pay several dollars for each if they could get them. The reason why Tiger, Bee, Bumblebee shrimp etc. are so cheap in Hong Kong is because they are from that region. Nobody seems to really appreciate the shrimp from their own regions.

If you want an idea about how expensive shrimp can be here, check this website out:

http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/n ... earch.html

Lots of retail stores have similar prices actually, although mostly not quite as expensive.

Mustafa
I get my ghosts five for a buck from my lfs. Is this not the standard in the US? My rope fish eat about 20 a week!