BLUE Caridina sulawesi!

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Mustafa
Founder
Founder

BLUE Caridina sulawesi!

Post by Mustafa »

Hi people,

As I had promised in one of the other threads, here is a picture of my one and only blue Caridina sulawesi. I picked this shrimp out from hundreds of C. sulawesi in the main "untouched" colony (as opposed to the selectively bred colonies I have). This picture is about a week old...the shrimp has molted and grown some more in the meantime and it actually got even darker blue. The whole body looks more like the front part in this picture now. I'll take some more pictures in the coming days. The shrimp has always stayed blue ever since I discovered it about a month or so ago, so this mutation is stable. This mutation demonstrates again the huge potential of this species for selective breeding. I hope I can discover a blue male in the main colony (this one is a female), otherwise I have to breed this one with a normal male and hope for blues in the generations to come. Enjoy!

zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: BLUE Caridina sulawesi!

Post by zapisto »

very nice shrimp.
thaks for the pic Mustafa
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

With the Caridina sulawesi already having several Coloration & Pattern variations.
Now with this Blue Morph.
This is a " Must Have " Species for those of use that would like to selectively breed their own Color Morph Strain.

Mustafa
Thanks for the TEASER photo of the Blue Morph.

Good Luck in the search for a Blue Male.

John
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Newjohn wrote:With the Caridina sulawesi already having several Coloration & Pattern variations.
Now with this Blue Morph.
This is a " Must Have " Species for those of use that would like to selectively breed their own Color Morph Strain.
Yes, definitely. Keep in mind that I am the only one coming up with all these different forms and patters and colors. Imagine dozens, or, hundreds of breeders worldwide working with this species.
Mustafa
Thanks for the TEASER photo of the Blue Morph.

Good Luck in the search for a Blue Male.

John
No problem. :) Here are some more photos of my blue female. I also found a relatively blueish male. Nowhere nearly as intense as the female, but I'll take what I can get. These are the most up to date pictures, taken today:

The female:

The male:
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Update :smt006 :

Unfortunately, the blue female above died, but not without producing lots of offspring. The offspring aren't blue, and I have not seen any blue babies from them yet, either. This does not mean that there won't be any blue offspring in the future as the same happened with the red Malawa shrimp (no red ones for a generation or two), and now I have 10-20 red Malawa shrimp. So, if any blue ones pop up in the subsequent generations, I'll update this thread.
Ashrimp
Egg
Egg

Post by Ashrimp »

This post needs to be revived - the blue Caridina Sulawesi shrimps are GORGEOUS! I was about to make a topic regarding the Caridina Caerulea and was looking for suitable shrimps to put with it, but the blue morph Caridina Sulawesi would be more than perfect to go with them. How has your selective-breeding project with the blue Sulawesi come along? Would I be right to guess that the blue morph might be recessive? Happy Shrimping!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Yes, the blue morph appears to be recessive. I have a whole colony of offspring from that one really blue female. Only two of their offspring (offspring's offspring) turned out being blue...I'm waiting for the next generation to see if more blues pop up. Once I have a male and a female I can start a blue colony (and hope they breed true). I already have a colony of red/reddish brown Malawa shrimp and it took a very long time get that colony going. They look great, though. :)