RED Malawa shrimp! :)

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

JennyPenny
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: RED Malawa shrimp! :)

Post by JennyPenny »

Mustafa wrote:Ok, it looks like my population is 100% true breeding at this point. Just waiting for a new batch of babies to hatch (have a bunch of berried females) to possibly start offering them for sale. The young aren't all immediately reddish-brown but they turn that way over time. I'll try to post some pictures or videos of the population soon.
I'm very happy to hear this! I think I'll hold off on my order in the hopes that it works out. I will happily buy them. :D
mighty mite
Egg
Egg

Post by mighty mite »

Looks great.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Ok...lots of berried females but don't see many babies yet. So it'll take a while...and pictures followings soon...this time for real! ;)
mighty mite
Egg
Egg

Post by mighty mite »

Fantastic news. I was going to get regular malawa shrimp but they sold out just before I tried to purchase. Will be even better if red ones are available sometime after the summer (it's getting too hot here to ship now anyway).
JennyPenny
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JennyPenny »

I'm so disappointed that the Malawa shrimp are sold out! Hopefully there will be some red ones for sale soon, eh Mustafa? :mrgreen:
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

JennyPenny wrote:I'm so disappointed that the Malawa shrimp are sold out! Hopefully there will be some red ones for sale soon, eh Mustafa? :mrgreen:
I still have the red ones, but with having less and less time for freshwater shrimp as I'm concentrating more and more on the Supershrimp. So, probably not going to be available anytime soon....maybe never in commercial quantities. We'll see.
Stalker
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Stalker »

Muhahahaha a french aquarist have some red too :-D 8)
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Stalker wrote:Muhahahaha a french aquarist have some red too :-D 8)
Good! :) Especially because I'm pretty much letting my population die off (didn't heat them this winter...they didn't like it). Do you have any pictures or links to pictures?
Stalker
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Stalker »

I will ask if i can show you his photos. BTW temperature shouldnt be the problem, il France we breed malawa outside and they are still active when the surface freeze.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Stalker wrote: BTW temperature shouldnt be the problem, il France we breed malawa outside and they are still active when the surface freeze.
Hmmm...if you actually have Malawa shrimp I highly doubt that. Lots of people think they have one sort of shrimp but it turns out they actually have another species. Any pictures of those outside living shrimp? My experience has been that they are highly tropical. They can barely withstand temperatures under 15 degrees Celsius (59F) for too long.
Stalker
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Stalker »

Sadly i dont have a lot of good photos. In this one you can see the distinctive black marking on pleopodes. I identified them by the rostrum.

And this is her "ancestors", my ancient breeder bought them from this person:
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Those look like Malawa shrimp, but are these the actual shrimp that live outside? I'd have to see the actual pond outside and the malawa shrimp there in the winter and someone fishing them out alive. Seriously, it's *that* hard to believe. I live in subtropical San Diego and nobody can keep them outside here, so it's very hard to fathom that in cold country like France they could be kept outside. I can barely keep them in an unheated garage and, like I said, when temps go below 15 degrees for an extended period of time they start dying.
Stalker
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Stalker »

I saw them under the ice. Sadly the aquarist who brood them outside stopped the hobby. But i had absolutly no problems keeping them at home in winter, in my cold bedroom (I sleep with open windows even if it freeze outside) without heater. My water was sometimes at 12°C and I had berries year round. Maybe french population is more resilient after decade of misidentification as Neocaridina heteropoda/davidi.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Or maybe the guy actually had Neocaridina spp. in his pond when you saw them under the ice.
Stalker
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Stalker »

Nope :D