ID please

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

68merc
Egg
Egg

ID please

Post by 68merc »

here He is. I think from pictures iv'e looked at here he is a American Freshwater Glass Shrimp Palaemonetes paludosus

Here is the best pic i could get this morning.

Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: ID please

Post by Mustafa »

As you already know the picture is blurry and taken from an unfortunate angle. If you can get a better picture (full side view with rostrum and claws visible) then we can start giving you educated opinions. One thing I can tell you is that it does not look like Palaemonetes paludosus.
68merc
Egg
Egg

Post by 68merc »

Hope this one is better. Who knew shrimp didn't like bright light!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Hmmm...there are a number of Macrobrachium species that look exactly like that. It's *for sure* not Palaemonetes paludosus, could possibly be Macrobrachium lanchesteri. I'm fairly certain it's a Macrobrachium species, though. If you could get a full side view I could confirm or refute that it's actually M. lanchesteri.
68merc
Egg
Egg

Post by 68merc »

Mustafa wrote:Hmmm...there are a number of Macrobrachium species that look exactly like that. It's *for sure* not Palaemonetes paludosus, could possibly be Macrobrachium lanchesteri. I'm fairly certain it's a Macrobrachium species, though. If you could get a full side view I could confirm or refute that it's actually M. lanchesteri.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Ok, I'm pretty certain now that it's a male or immature (as in, adult but not ready to carry eggs) female Macrobrachium lanchesteri.