Cherax destructor-yabbies

This forum is read-only.

Moderator: Mustafa

demonte1997
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Cherax destructor-yabbies

Post by demonte1997 »

Does anyone here know where I can get them? I'm looking to try something different than prawn and have an extra tank for them. They seem like extraordinary creatures.

Thanks in advance

-Rick
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Cherax destructor-yabbies

Post by Mustafa »

For some reason they are actually very hard to find. I see them on import lists from Asia (of all places) once in a while. I actually have Cherax destructor albidus, both the blue, the wild and the wild looking type with blueish claws... Mine are still juveniles and I am waiting for them to grow up and carry eggs. At that point I should have ample supplies of these crayfish as they carry tons of eggs. I have found them to be far less aggressive and more tolerant of each other than Procambarus clarkii or even marble crayfish (the cloning type). Heck, they are WAY more tolerant of each other than the highly aggressive CPOs. A big plus is that they diurnal as opposed to all the other Cherax spp. that you see offered for sale here and there. And the coolest thing about them is that they look almost exactly like lobsters with their broad claws.

Having said that, I have PMed you a link to where you can get them from a friend. Be forewarned, though, they aren't cheap!
demonte1997
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by demonte1997 »

Thanks again for the info Mustafa. I went with two blue moon Cherax (C. boesemani?) from a seller on aquabid. This being my first dance with crays, I didn't want to go too crazy with it. I have a 29 gallon tank set up for them. Hopefully, with enough hiding places, these guys will get along okay.

Will post some pics when they arrive. :)
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Yes, definitely post some pictures! There has not been much activity with crays in the invertebrate hobby lately, especially here in North America.
demonte1997
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by demonte1997 »

They arrived yesterday. One of them was DOA. :cry:

The survivor seems to be doing well. I believe it is a male and he is quite the goof. He hangs out near his flower pot cave and bulldozes gravel around. Seems like a fun life. Will try to get a pic of him when I'm home tonight. :)
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

How's your survivor doing? Unfortunately, these crays are in pretty bad shape after getting shipped from southeast asia to the US. And unless the seller on aquabid acclimated these guys for a month or more (which practically none of them do), you usually receive animals that are still in bad shape or even worse shape after being shipped to you. That's why we need more hobbyists who actually try to breed decapod crustaceans here in the US and elsewhere. Post a picture once you get a chance...
demonte1997
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by demonte1997 »

I have some good news. First, the shipper will honor the DOA (although he did not need to) and will be sending me another female. Second, the male seems to be doing quite well. He is very shy but eats frozen peas and an ocassional sinking pellet. His cave has so much gravel pushed up to the opening that I don't understand how he is able to get in and out of it. No doubt this was his handy work for security measures-Smart little guy.

Will post a a couple pics tonight. :)
demonte1997
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by demonte1997 »

Here's a pic in the acclimating bucket:

His claw protruding from under the flower pot cave.

He's really tough to get a good shot of. I know some are very shy but I remain hopeful that he will warm up after another week of happy living. 8)
Last edited by demonte1997 on Wed May 02, 2012 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
demonte1997
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by demonte1997 »

Wanted to add that I will remove the crude substrate from that tank soon and replace it with pool filter sand. If anyone has recommendations for different decorations, I'd be happy to entertain changing the layout around. For now I'm on a budget but I really don't love the way it looks. In the end, I just want my little bugs to be happy. haha
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Thanks for the pictures, and I'm glad the shipper was willing to work with you on the DOA. I hope you have more luck with a live arrival the second time around. As for the crayfish coming out more in the future...don't count on it..LOL. This species (and pretty much all species from New Guinea) are extremely secretive and nocturnal. The most they will do is come out for food...maybe. It's entirely possible, though, that offspring could be more outgoing but there aren't all that many people that seem to try to breed these guys (and succeed) to report about first, second and third generation captive-bred animals. Pretty much all Cherax (except for C. destructor and C. quadricarinatus) that you see for sale at this point are directly from the wild.

As for decoration...wrong person to ask...LOL. I'm not the decorating kind of guy. I prioritize functionality over looks, so my tanks are nothing to look at really. Maybe someone with decoration talent (and inclinations) can give better pointers. :-D
demonte1997
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by demonte1997 »

It appears that this guy is getting a little more outgoing with time. The new female should be here by Thurs. I'm hoping to remodel the tank a little by replacing the gravel bottom with sand and possibly add some driftwood as well as change around the cave layout. Will get some pics this weekend.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Thanks for the update. Let's hope your female arrives in good shape and they hit it off :) My Cherax destructors are extremely outgoing ...always running around, especially during feeding time where they are literally frantic.
demonte1997
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by demonte1997 »

The female's transit time has been sped up and she will arrive here in a couple hours. I hope for a live specimen and successful acclimation.

Last night I changed out the rough gravel for pool sand. Zoidberg wasn't happy about it. However, this morning he came running out to me with claws outstretched-either in a display of thanks or disgust for his new living decor. haha

Will update with some images this evening!

*keeps fingers crossed*
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

"Zoidberg"...haha. :-D
demonte1997
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by demonte1997 »

Great news everyone!

The female arrived safe and is happily acclimated to the tank. Zoidberg doesn't seem thrilled with her atm, but I hope he will get :smt007 soon. She is significantly larger than him and I think that is a good thing.

As an added bonus, both lobsters are out and no longer hiding. Both are eating peas and shrimp pellets. I'll get some pics uploaded tonight. All pics to this point have come out blurry. :/