Using Sulawesi Mineral 7,5

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

stonefox
Larva
Larva

Using Sulawesi Mineral 7,5

Post by stonefox »

I will try to make water for Sulawesi shrimps with product Sulawesi Mineral 7.5, - my osmosis water have thethe value 10uS, shall I mix the minerals in till my value is 40 uS or must be higher?

ADMIN: REMOVED LINK TO COMMERCIAL WEBSITE, Please see rules in the rules section
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Using Sulawesi Mineral 7,5

Post by Mustafa »

I know that all kinds of products are being sold as some kind of "miracle solution" to keeping Sulawesi shrimp in Europe, but *trust me* that you do not have to worry about microsiemens or TDS or what exactly the "mineral" content of the original lakes on Sulawesi are *at all!* All you need to do is take your RO water or whatever water you have (as long as it is not loaded with Ammnoia like here in the USA) and get the Ph to about 7.2-7.4 (yes, I know in their habitats the Ph is much higher...but your tank is not a lake, either), probably by adding some calcium carbonate rock and/or letting your RO water run through some container with calcium carbonate rock. Sulawesi shrimp are especially sensitive to Ammonia and non-established/balanced tanks and that's what these "miracle products" are trying to take advantage of. The only thing that makes these products work (halfways) is the fact that their instructions say that you need to use RO water to mix up the minerals. The "minerals" are useless beyond *maybe* initially helping you get to Ph 7.5 (which may already be borderline too high). The shrimp don't care about any mineral combination in any specific form. What makes the RO work is that it is free of Ammonia, nitrate, nitrite and other organic contaminants and gives you a better chance to start up your tank on the right foot. Of course, after the initial setup period it's all the same...RO or not, as feeding and "natural" organic processes will "contaminate" the water either way. The trick is to find a balance, where bacteria and microalgae (and maybe some plants) can take care of the organic contaminants faster than they can accumulate to dangerous levels. That's the real "secret" and nobody can sell you a product that can do that for you. This hobby is very knowledge based...miracle products and "easy" solutions don't generally work.