Seting Up A BrackishWater Tank 4 SuperShrimp

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

ChearpyTrice
Larva
Larva

Seting Up A BrackishWater Tank 4 SuperShrimp

Post by ChearpyTrice »

Hey ya
Thax again 4 makein the Super Shrimp Forum. My BoyFriend & I want 2 get some SuperShrimp (Opae ula, Hawaiian red shrimp, Halocaridina rubra)! I have just started 2 setup a tank 4 them & Im make the brackishwater 4 them usein saltwater from the beach as I have found it 2 be better than made saltwater & was wonder if I could use neutralized tap water as I use the best neutralizer ? They should be easy 4 me as I use 2 have a FreshWater Plant tank & use 2 breed Discus & Angels & Dwarf Cichlids & I use 2 have a SaltWater Coral tank & SeaHorse & Mandarines & Angels & Clown Fish. I also use 2 have Red Cherry Shrimp & they were doin well & breedin till my mum nocked there tank other I wasnt happy trie 2 safe them but was 2 much 4 them.
Tar tar Patrice
Last edited by ChearpyTrice on Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Setin Up A BrackishWater Tank 4 SuperShrimp

Post by Mustafa »

Hey Patrice,

I would not take a risk and just use half destilled or RO water. If you must use tap water, I would use twice the recommended amount of dechlorinator before mixing the tap water with the sea water you are using. I may sound a little strange, but I would recommend using artificial marine salt for reefs as sold in stores over sea water from your local beach. Coastal areas are quite polluted and are usually loaded with nitrates and phosphates (as is the case here in San Diego). That will cause a nasy algae and bacterial bloom in your newly established tank, which usually kills off many, if not most, of your shrimp.

By the way, can you do me a favor and try to write out your words and use punctuation? Not trying to be a dick, but it's just easier for everyone to read, understand and reply to your posts (plus, I actually made it a rule to not use abbreviations and use punctuations something like 6-7 years ago...read the rules section).

In any case, good luck with your shrimp.
ChearpyTrice
Larva
Larva

Re: Setin Up A BrackishWater Tank 4 SuperShrimp

Post by ChearpyTrice »

Hey ya
Thax for ur reply was wonderin why know one had reply yet as I forgot to put a ? mark on the end of my sentences lol sorry & cut a couple of words off 2 short as Im just of use to talkin like that on FaceBook. I had my SaltWater tank for many years with out havein any problems with use saltwater from the beach & I'm in QLD Australia & I use the saltwater from Bribie Island Beach as I have found it 2 be the best out of the Beaches closest to me. I use Prime Seachem as a Neutralizer its one of the best & also take out a lot of other bad stuff in the water to but was just readin one of ur articles & u said 2 be careful as some tap water has copper in it & copper will kill shrimp. Could I Boil the TapWater with the kettle as well as usein Neutralizer would tak help ? By distilled water do u mean bottled water ? Bottled water has a low PH & will it even out the PH when it's mixed with the saltwater as it has a high PH ? Could I use RainWater as I have a rainwater tank & it has a low PH to & mix it with the SaltWater ? Don't have a RO water machine & they r dear. I have used white sand as it looks nice & crushed coral as it keeps the PH up as a substrate. How long is it remanded to have ur tank setup before addin ur SuperShrimp & is it just till its cycled or longer ?
Tar tar Patrice
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Seting Up A BrackishWater Tank 4 SuperShrimp

Post by Mustafa »

Hi Patrice,

I would not worry about copper or any other heavy metals. At alkaline ph levels heavy metals aren't very soluble and precipitate out of the water column. Distilled water can come in bottles and it usually says "distilled water" on them. You can use rainwater instead of distilled water if you want. If you use distilled water or rainwater, you do not need to use Prime. I use Prime (double dose) with my tap water only. Don't worry about the low ph of rainwater or distilled water. The ocean water will take care of the ph and the crushed coral will keep it high over time. If your white sand is coral sand (aragonite) it will do the same thing. As for how long your tank should be set up before adding the shrimp...I'd say two weeks is plenty. Even a week should be ok actually as long as the instructions on my website are followed.
ChearpyTrice
Larva
Larva

Post by ChearpyTrice »

Hey ya Mustafa
Thax for ur time & all ur help. The TapWater here is Alkaline & I didn't want to risk usein the tap water in case it has copper in it as most tap water does these days as I just remember wat happened a long time ago lol & I had Mandarines & SeaHorses & SaltWater Shrimp in the past & had probs with them at first but tank was prefect & I had done a water change that day & found out it had copper in it & doesn't normally & all of them hate copper. I put the half SaltWater from the beach in the tank about a week ago & decided to use RainWater for the other half today. The white sand I used is called silver sand & I put a hand full of crush coral in aswell. I also add a dead fan coral I had from my old SaltWater tank but u can find them at the beach & goin to add a piece of lava rock from my old FreshWater tank. I also add some good bacteria in a bottle to give it a jump start to help it cycle quicker & goin to add a snail also to give good bacteria double jump start lol R gold snails ok with shrimp ? & R mussels ok with shrimp ?
Tar tar Patrice
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Hi Patrice,

Not sure what you mean by "gold snail." Do you have a picture? Mussels should be ok with the shirmp per se, but they don't do so well in Aquaria in general. They tend to die and you won't even notice because they are usually berried in the substrate. That can pollute the water quite a bit. Beyond snails (must be able to live in higher salinity brackish water) I would not put anything else in the tank with these shrimp.
ChearpyTrice
Larva
Larva

Post by ChearpyTrice »

Hey ya Mustafa
Gold Snail r also know as Mystery Snails they r FreshWater Snails so not sure if they can go in BrackishWater & I was goin to use them to keep the algae down when it gets to much for the shrimp or could I use Turbo Snails in stead as they r SaltWater Snails so could take the Salt ? & the mussels r from the creek down from me & mussels r filters & filter pollutions out of the water so that why I was goin to use them or could I use SaltWater Pippy in stead ? Also tested the the salt level specific gravity in my tank with the hydrometer & it sayin that there none or its below 16 or 1.012 ppt but this has only happened since I add half RainWater & the SaltWater was 28 or 1.021 ppt before I add it wat happened & should I add more SaltWater ? Thax
Tar tar Patrice
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I would just keep these shrimp by themselves for now. None of the animals you described can live at the salinities that are required for these shrimp. Some nerite snails can live in brackish water and acclimated populations of M. tuberculata and Tarebia granifera can also live and thrive in such brackish conditions (I have T. granifera).
ChearpyTrice
Larva
Larva

Post by ChearpyTrice »

Hey ya
Ok. Will keep that in mind if the algae gets out of hand. I have been triein to get the algae growin in the tank by putin it out in the sun every day till I get the light but have had no luck but algae grows in ur tank when u don't want it lol. Is there any tricks to make the algae grow faster ? I will be gettin the water tested tomorrow & will be getin some food 4 them as well but wat type do SuperShrimp prefur ? I know that Java Fern, Narrow Java Fern, Java Moss, Lace Fern, Marimo Moss Balls for eg can live in BrackishWater but wat types of plants can live in BrackishWater ? Can any SaltWater Corals live in BrackishWater eg Morfs ? Thax
Tar tar Patrice
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Don't rush it. The algae will grow all by itself over time. Also, don't move the tank into the sun all the time. You might not notice it, but the temps in your tank probably get excessively high once placed under the sun. As for plants...none of the plants you mentioned (and really no freshwater) plants can grow at such high salinities. Don't listen to what you hear or read about "this or that plant can grow in brackish water" on the web. People have no idea what they are talking about, especially when it comes to brackish water. Per definition brackish water can be any water that has a higher salinity than what is considered "freshwater" (which is also a vague concept up for dabate), but lower salinity than typical ocean water. That is a huge range. Supershrimp live somewhere in the middle range and no freshwater plant can grow there.

I have discovered a type of Cheatomorpha sp. macroalga (looks like strings of spaghetti) that grows and thrives at such salinities and that's about the only plant that goes with these shrimp at this point. Don't overthink it with these shrimp, a very basic setup is more than enough for them. I'd concentrate more on decorating with rocks.
ChearpyTrice
Larva
Larva

Post by ChearpyTrice »

Hey ya
I would'nt put the tank in the sun with the shrimp in it or I'd have grilled shrimp lol I was only putin it out in the sun for the algae to grow faster as alae loves sun light. I've seen Jap Marimo Moss Ball grow in the same tank as SuperShrimp in BrackishWater that why I asked & also was thinkin about buyin a piece of live rock for SaltWater tanks as it has lots of goodies grow on it that they will like & will grow in BrackishWater. I got my water tested yesterday for my SuperShrimp BrackishWater tank & the ammonia is about medium so still cyclein will give it either 2 weeks so will be ready of the SuperShrimp next pay & also got the salt level tested again but with a different hydrometer & the specific gravity is 10 or 1.006 ppt so thats why my hydrometer was'nt pickin it up as it only go as low as 16 or 1.012 ppt so will have to brin the salt level up as its to low now. I brought them some food yesterday to feed them till the algae grows in the tank it's called Formula 2 Marine Pellets by Ocean Nutrition & it's Enriched With Colour Enhancer, Spirulina, Garlic, Proteins & Is For Herbivorous & Omnivorous Marine Tropicals Fish but is suitable for Shrimp as it contains wat they like as well & its a very tiny soft moist pellet. Also brought a really big sphere tank that I will upgrade them to once they start breedin & have to many in the small circle tank.
Tar tar Patrice
ChearpyTrice
Larva
Larva

Post by ChearpyTrice »

Hey ya
I would'nt put the tank in the sun with the shrimp in it or I'd have grilled shrimp lol I was only putin it out in the sun for the algae to grow faster as alae loves sun light. I've seen Jap Marimo Moss Ball grow in the same tank as SuperShrimp in BrackishWater that why I asked & also was thinkin about buyin a piece of live rock for SaltWater tanks as it has lots of goodies grow on it that they will like & will grow in BrackishWater. I got my water tested yesterday for my SuperShrimp BrackishWater tank & the ammonia is about medium so still cyclein will give it either 2 weeks so will be ready of the SuperShrimp next pay & also got the salt level tested again but with a different hydrometer & the specific gravity is 10 or 1.006 ppt so thats why my hydrometer was'nt pickin it up as it only go as low as 16 or 1.012 ppt so will have to brin the salt level up as its to low now. I brought them some food yesterday to feed them till the algae grows in the tank it's called Formula 2 Marine Pellets by Ocean Nutrition & it's Enriched With Colour Enhancer, Spirulina, Garlic, Proteins & Is For Herbivorous & Omnivorous Marine Tropicals Fish but is suitable for Shrimp as it contains wat they like as well & its a very tiny soft moist pellet. Also brought a really big sphere tank that I will upgrade them to once they start breedin & have to many in the small circle tank.
Tar tar Patrice
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Looks like you're making good progress there. I know you don't have shrimp in there yet, just making sure that this does not become a habit so you subconsciously put the tank *with* shrimp out there in the sun. :-D

The ocean nutrition brand you bought for food is a very good brand. I actually use it myself among other brands (I have the Formula one). The marimo ball you saw just takes a very long time to die, so it looks like it's "growing" in brackish water. Similar to how Java moss is reported to "grow" in brackish water...it doesn't. It just stays green for a very long time.

As for live rock and critters in it...most of those critters are really not brackish water adapted, so they will just die within the live rock and start decomposing there (and produce ammonia). If you want to put rocks in there just use "dead" rock that looks cool to you.
ChearpyTrice
Larva
Larva

Post by ChearpyTrice »

Hey ya
Can u delete 1 of my posts as 2 came up the same lol. I beleave pets only deserve the best so I always buy good quality products but I'm good at findin a bargin lol. Wat type of fish is Formula 1 for & wat does it have in it ? Wat Ph & Salinities do u keep ur Opae Ula at ? When I buy some of ur Baby Opae Ula do I get both Males & Females ? Thax u so much for all ur help & ur time.
Tar tar Patrice
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

The ingredients of both formula 1 and 2 are quite similar actually. I believe formula 1 has more protein and slightly different ingredients. Both should work just fine with any fish or shrimp. I don't really measure the ph in my Supershrimp tanks, but it's always in the alkaline range due to the calcium carbonate rocks in their tanks. Salinity in my tanks is at about 1.012 SG, but that varies from tank to tank, too. If you have about 1/3 to 1/2 ocean salinity, you're good to go. After that you never have to worry about salinity since it's all just "set up once and just refill evaporated water."

And yes, I always send out males and females. In fact, I can't really tell if I am sending out males and females since sexing these shrimp until they actually start carrying eggs is extremely difficult. Suffice it to say that I seed my own new breeding tanks with the same "random scoop" shrimp that any customer is getting from me. I have not had a single tank with shrimp that failed to reproduce so far.