How soon can Amano Shrimp lay eggs?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

vtsao
Egg
Egg

How soon can Amano Shrimp lay eggs?

Post by vtsao »

I have 1 female and 1 male amano shrimps 2 months ago and didn't realize the female lay eggs until I found some small baby shrimps (2-4mm long) in between rocks and graval (the female died after giving birth). So obviously with only one male left in the tank, it is impossible to have NEW babies shrimps. My question is, after 6 weeks, some shrimp got up to 5mm long, but I can see some 1mm baby shrimps, could the 5mm shrimps already give birth?

Just wondering how soon can the Amano shrimp make babies? Could the 4-5mm shrimps already laying eggs?

I have about 30 amano baby shrimps in a big bowl (about 3-5mm long), I change the water everyday (taking water from the main tank) with a little bit of salt. They seem to be growing ok, I didn't want to leave them in the big tank because all the other fishes eat them. In my bowl of baby amano shrimps (about 3 - 5 mm long) , I can see shrimps carrying another shrimps and swim, I try to separate them using a toothpick but no luck, was wondering why the shrimp would grab on to another shrimp and swim.

Thank you.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: How soon can Amano Shrimp lay eggs?

Post by Mustafa »

I combined your two topics/posts into one, as they are related and it will otherwise create unnecessary clutter in the forum. If you're seeing baby shrimp running around the tank you don't have Amano shrimp, you probably have some Neocaridina sp. that was sold to you as an Amano shrimp. If you can post a picture of your remaining adult shrimp, we can be more specific about what you actually have. In the meantime, go ahead and read up on the Amano shrimp (and other shrimp) right here in the forum and the general Petshrimp website. You'll find out that Amano shrimp larvae require saltwater to develop.

As for why they are holding on to each other...shrimp usually do that if they have nothing else to hold on to (do you have a substrate?) or as port of their mating behavior. Yours seem too young to mate, though. Again, some pictures would help.
vtsao
Egg
Egg

Post by vtsao »

Hi, thanks for your reply. I am sure that the remaining shrimp is Amano shrimp because he has dots on his body. As with babies require saltwater, I did had salt water in the tank as a treatment of ich of my fishes at the time when I found the baby amano shrimps. Now some other say they might be scuds, have any idea if that is possible?

I try to look at the baby shrimps with magnifying glass, they seem to have dots on their body too. Is scub some kind of shrimps as well? What are the difference between the two?

Thanks
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Lots of shrimp have dots on their bodies. When I say "saltwater" I really mean "ocean salinity" or close to it. Your salt treatment does not quality. Plus, the Amano shrimp has larvae that float around for about 4 weeks and have to be fed specifically. You definitely do not have Amano shrimp.

In any case your best friend in cases like this is always the search function. We discussed this same topic literally hundreds of times here starting all the way back in 2004. Do us, and yourself, a favor and just research this forum and the rest of the website.

As for the difference between shrimp and scuds...just type in "scuds" in google picture search and see what comes up. Again, the search engine is usually your best friend when it comes to finding out information.