behavioral differences between Cardinals and Cherries

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

dagray
Egg
Egg

behavioral differences between Cardinals and Cherries

Post by dagray »

I have noticed that the Red Cherry Shrimp swim all over the tank and don't spook when the tank light is turned on in the morning. I have noticed that the Cardinals crawl and climb but don't swim, and that they sometimes jump when the tank light is turned on even though there is some ambient light comming into the tank.

Also the Cherries don't try to find cover if I walk in front of the tank, but the Cardinals must see the light difference and they will crawl down behind a rock for a few minutes as if to hide.

Dave
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: behavioral differences between Cardinals and Cherries

Post by Mustafa »

Yep, all your observations are spot on. C. dennerli is a very reclusive species and very sensitive to movement outside the tank. There are a few other species from the lakes of sulawesi that are like that. Many wild shrimp from all over the world display similar behavior, but they either get used to tank conditions or their offspring lose that behavior (for the most part) as they notice that there is really no danger in a shrimp tank.