Identification of 'Yellow Shrimp'

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

nidding
Egg
Egg

Identification of 'Yellow Shrimp'

Post by nidding »

Hello all.
I just bought a bunch of Neocaridina Heteropoda var. yellow - or at least so I thought.
After picking them up at the store (the owner having not opened the transportation bag from the importer), i declimatized them for my tank and put them in. However none of them were really yellow at all. Most have an orange7yellowish hue to them, but some even have a blue taint as well. I went back to the shop, who then contacted the importer, who told us that they were supposedly caught in the wild in Vietnam and should be what he called 'yellow shrimp'. I've been searching the net for info of the shrimp, but haven't been able to come up with an Id. Unluckily I only have a really bad phone camera, but I've tried to take some semi-usable photos of the shrimps. If anyone have an idea of what I've got here, I'll be really thankful :D

Image(and yes, I have a really bad outbreak of GDA :? ) - the yellow eyes are not due to lightning conditions

ImageThe guy to the right does have a distinct orange/yellowish color to it, which I'm afraid is hard to see on the photo.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :D
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Identification of 'Yellow Shrimp'

Post by Mustafa »

Hmmm...it's really hard to tell from the pictures. I am not even sure if they are a Neocaridina sp. at all (which the "yellow" shrimp are). Seems like you have a "mystery" shrimp there. If you manage to take some pictures after the shrimp have acclimated to your tank more (and, hence, display better coloration), I may be able to give you some more useful information. Yellow shrimp, after acclimation, are usually quite yellow...as the name says.
nidding
Egg
Egg

Post by nidding »

Well thanks, Mustafa, for the answer :)
I got a few new photos that might help, I hope :)
240812-004 by jonas_sandager, on Flickr
240812-003 by jonas_sandager, on Flickr
240812-002 by jonas_sandager, on Flickr
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Hmmm....still not sure what they are. There are various species of shrimp in Vietnam, some related to the various "bee" and "bumblebee" shrimp species from southern China. In any case, any shrimp from Vietnam is either new or relatively new to the hobby as there haven't been all that many shrimp species imported from Vietnam over the years.