Tights on filter

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

mroli123
Egg
Egg

Tights on filter

Post by mroli123 »

Hi,

I have recently set up a tank for red cherry shrimp and have a few guppies in with them too, afew of the red cherries are carrying eggs also afew guppies are about to burst, so need to get my filter sorted out - its just a standard fluval one, I read that putting tights over it will stop the babies getting sucked in, is this just a case of getting a pair of tights and putting them over the whole filter? Or putting them down the side of the sponge in the filter?

Also a random questions, I bought a couple of apple snails, when I got them home I noticed another snail in the bag, it was a smaller snail which has a black fluffy shell? I've looked online and can't find any information - anyone have any ideas of what it might be?!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Tights on filter

Post by Mustafa »

Tights work and should be put in the intake of the filter. Around the internal sponge is useless as the shrimp will still get sucked into the filter...which is what you want to avoid. The only problem with tights is that they clog very easily and need to be cleaned frequently. I prefer using cylindrical filter sponges that I stick on the intake of such filters, or rather used to stick on the intake of such filters as I don't use these filters anymore. Air driven sponge filters are really the best way to go with shrimp.