Introducing myself ^_^

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Introducing myself ^_^

Post by Mustafa »

Yes, that's a female with maturing eggs. No, there is no ratio...everything else was answered by Ken. :)
lovepixie
Egg
Egg

Post by lovepixie »

Hello!
I just wanted to share a little success! I must be doing something right! Last night i spottet a berried female :)
Finally after over a year it has happened. I wonder if i have a male in there to make the miracle happen.
I have just one issue. I set up a new tank- its now about 3 weeks old and looking very good, some gravel, lava rocks and light, some very promising looking green algae film on the side of the glass. I was going to introduce my 4 little shrimps soon but now im thinking this might not be such a good idea for the berried female- she might shake her eggs or something like that if i transfer her in this stage due to the stress. has anybody transferred shrimps in this stage to another tank?
I know for certain it is a better setup this time- i used better water for starters - osmosis and reef salt as well as some start up bacteria. Levels of nitrate, nitrite and ammonia all at zero and ph at 8.
The old tank never fully developed proper green algae film - probably due to the wrong lighting and perhaps water. the film on the side is more brownish.
what should i do? wait it out for a month, until the eggs are hatched and then transfer? Or is it better to do it whilst they are still attached to the female?
Any thoughts on this would be great!
Thanks!
best
julia
Attachments
IMG_0333 (2).jpg
IMG_0333 (2).jpg (72.58 KiB) Viewed 862 times
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

Pixie. My 2 cents. Leave things alone. If there is an emergency then make the switch. You said "I must be doing something right." You only have one berried female. No larvae yet. Why move them.

It is your call.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

The problem with new tanks is that the larvae usually don't survive after hatching as the biological balance hasn't been established yet. I'd leave the shrimp in the old tank until your larvae turn into postlarvae (tiny shrimp).
PixieShrimp
Egg
Egg

Post by PixieShrimp »

Wow my original intro post got so busy! It's nice to know there is someone else living in Japan raising these guys.

Mine are still doing good by the way! I haven't seen any berries or babies, but no deaths and all looking healthy!

LovePixie it's great you got berries! Sounds like you are taking great care of them! I hope I'll have babies someday soon. I'm reviving my old ambition to breed these guys, so we will see how it goes. :D Are you still in Japan? Or did you go back home?