Three questions about new setup ...

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

peacecorn
Egg
Egg

Three questions about new setup ...

Post by peacecorn »

Hi there and thanks so much for creating this forum!

I'm getting a tank set up so I can release shrimps from an Ecosphere, and the PetSmart I went to sold me activated carbon instead of calcium carbonate rocks. I explained to them what I was doing, but must have confused them. I can return it, but they didn't have anything at all that looked like the chicken nugget sized calcium carbonate rocks recommended here: http://www.petshrimp.com/opaesetup.php

1. Dumb question but ... I should return it and head to an aquarium shop for that, yes?

2. I picked up a hydrometer, but I saw some conversation around pH. Do I need to test for that as well?

3. Finally, bacteria! I also l read that conversation and I hadn't planned on doing anything with bacteria. If I follow the instructions on that website above, which doesn't mention it, will I be okay?

Here's their new home!

Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Three questions about new setup ...

Post by Mustafa »

Hi! :)

You can actually use anything that does not acidify or otherwise affect the water parameters as a substrate. You only need a few calcium carbonate rocks. It can be half a handful of crushed coral, or some sea shells, snail shells, lime stone or similar. A tiny piece of sepia shell will work, too (sold for pet birds). The calcium carbonate just serves to buffer the ph. You do not need the activated carbon at all, so I would return it. You don't really need a ph test kit either. As long as the ph is alkaline, which it will be if you follow the steps detailed in the link, you'll be just fine. You really just need to follow the instructions in that link and things will turn out fine. One more thing (that I need to add to the instructions) is that you should dump the water that comes with the shrimp (when shipped to you for example) into your tank, as it will have some beneficial microscopic flora and fauna to jumpstart your system. Don't worry about bacteria supplements or anything.

Their home looks good...except for that filter. It has some mega intake slits there and the shrimp will get sucked in for sure. Plus...it will probably create way too much water movement for these shrimp. I actually do not recommend a filter at all...I would remove it.