Filter?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

YoungMrHoward
Larva
Larva

Filter?

Post by YoungMrHoward »

I am contemplating setting up a tank for "SuperShrimp". I have a two gallon plexiglass tank with a built in under gravel filter and a light. Would using the filter be harmful or helpful for the shrimp? Once the algae starts growing and shrimp are introduced is the light harmful or helpful?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Filter?

Post by Mustafa »

They don't need or want a filter. Excessive water movement can actually be counterproductive, especially if you want to breed them. If you click on the "SUPERSHRIMP!" link on top to read the setup instructions for supershrimp, you will get access to all the information you need to set up a perfect tank for them.
YoungMrHoward
Larva
Larva

Post by YoungMrHoward »

I have read the instructions and am very grateful for all of this information... I just have a few questions before I start. I would like to use a light for aesthetic purposes as I did for the filter. I like to see movement in the water or bubbles. I will will gladly keep the filter out. I assume that the surface oxygen exchange will suffice for the shrimp then. Will a light be harmful?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I always recommend a light source as it promotes algae/biofilm growth, on which the shrimp feed. I think it's indispensable in the long run.