Gravid Amano Shrimp

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

sussex_cichlids
Egg
Egg

Gravid Amano Shrimp

Post by sussex_cichlids »

Little help needed

I've decide i would like to have ago at hatching and raising some Amano shrimp but this is my first time at doing it so ive red load of guides and had lots help from friends over at UKAPS got my basic setups all done and shrimp separated into a hatching tank which is 20ltrs filled with water from main tank

So were i need help is getting my rearing tank setup right im going to be using a 30ltr tank filled with RO water and im adding Red Sea Reef Salt to a salinity of 1.020 im going to use a 15w light switched on 24/7 and an air driven bubble filter to keep zoes alive

Im going to leave them in the Saltwater tank for 25/40 days till ready to be conditioned to freshwater shrimp

Were im little stuck is food i need to be feeding them ive done load reserch on phytoplankton and would like to have ago at culturing my own but look like hassle at moment so ive do alod of looking for bottle food or liquad food sutable for the baby zoes

All ive found is lots of confusing information im looking at these products can anyone advise me the best food for baby saltwater zoes

http://www.shirleyaquatics.co.uk/produc ... 830722C635
Or
http://www.seachem.com/Products/product ... nkton.html

Is there any Amano breader here and can you advice me on anything i should change and anything i should consider getting to get me hatching my Amano's
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Gravid Amano Shrimp

Post by Mustafa »

When it comes to breeding shrimp with larval stages that require some amount of salt in their water the biggest problem, besides food, is water quality. Most people set up a new tank and throw the larvae in there. The problem with that is that the tank is not even properly cycled and established. If adult shrimp can't even live in non-cycled, non-established tanks then larvae won't live there, either. So, establishing a larval tank and having it run for a month or two (at least) is part of the solution. As for the products you linked to...it's hard to say if any of them work or not...you'll just have to give a chance and see. I personally have not used any of them.