Quick question on shrimp ID.

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

peterm242
Egg
Egg

Quick question on shrimp ID.

Post by peterm242 »

I just got into this hobby and I went out with my dad and bought a couple of shrimp. This is where my question is. I have a shrimp that I think is a crystal red shrimp. It has a red head, a big white stripe in its abdomen area, and its tail is red. I also have a shrimp that I'm not sure what it is. I know I should have looked while I was at the place, but I forgot to. It is almost all red. Its not as dark as the one I mentioned before but it has thin white stripes on it. I would say the stripes are maybe a few millimeters wide. I'm hoping that these are both crystal reds that I described to you so they can breed, and I'm also hoping that they are different sexes. Can you tell me what kind of shrimp they both are and what the best way to take care of them (feed, hiding places, etc.)? Thanks very much in advance.
Stalker
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Quick question on shrimp ID.

Post by Stalker »

Make a photo
peterm242
Egg
Egg

Post by peterm242 »

Ill try my best for a photo they are hiding alot.
peterm242
Egg
Egg

Post by peterm242 »

first one with the skinny stripes. Sorry for just okay quality.
Attachments
P1010559.jpg
P1010559.jpg (27.69 KiB) Viewed 2567 times
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

That's a crystal red shrimp.
peterm242
Egg
Egg

Post by peterm242 »

Mustafa wrote:That's a crystal red shrimp.
I really like what youve done by making this website! Ill post the other picture of the second shrimp i have a question on. Also if there is any way to tell its sex that would be nice also. Thanks!
peterm242
Egg
Egg

Post by peterm242 »

also is it normal if the second shrimp im trying to take a picture of is shy. It hasnt been in the tank very long and although i know im not supposed to keep shrimp i intend to breed with fish, i have a platies, snails, and one catfish (i think im going to remove him) in one tank. Thats what i think is making him not come out but im not positive.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Thanks for the feedback! :D There is still a lot that needs to be done with this website...lots updating and adding new stuff...and so little time.
Anyway, you can tell the sex *for sure* once one of them starts carrying eggs. Until then it's difficult, although not impossible. You need some experience though (i.e. should have kept shrimp for a while, otherwise it makes no sense to even begin describing the details). With two shrimp it's a shot in the dark...the chances of having a pair are not all that great. And yes, if you want to breed shrimp, you need to give them their own tank without shrimp. I have some setups with some of my wild-type blue guppies and brilliant endler's that have tons of shrimp (and tons of guppies), but the tanks have moss-overgrown bottoms where the shrimp hide, hang out and even breed. Most of them are more active at night because of the fish, though. The fish don't bother the adults, but I can imagine that they would love snacking on the baby shrimp if they get a chance to catch them. So, it can work with the right species of fish and really dense moss, but you'll see the shrimp a lot less often that way.
peterm242
Egg
Egg

Post by peterm242 »

Mustafa wrote:Thanks for the feedback! :D There is still a lot that needs to be done with this website...lots updating and adding new stuff...and so little time.
Anyway, you can tell the sex *for sure* once one of them starts carrying eggs. Until then it's difficult, although not impossible. You need some experience though (i.e. should have kept shrimp for a while, otherwise it makes no sense to even begin describing the details). With two shrimp it's a shot in the dark...the chances of having a pair are not all that great. And yes, if you want to breed shrimp, you need to give them their own tank without shrimp. I have some setups with some of my wild-type blue guppies and brilliant endler's that have tons of shrimp (and tons of guppies), but the tanks have moss-overgrown bottoms where the shrimp hide, hang out and even breed. Most of them are more active at night because of the fish, though. The fish don't bother the adults, but I can imagine that they would love snacking on the baby shrimp if they get a chance to catch them. So, it can work with the right species of fish and really dense moss, but you'll see the shrimp a lot less often that way.
i want to make another tank but my dad and i just put one up and i dont wanna ask him to start another as we already have 3.
peterm242
Egg
Egg

Post by peterm242 »

Here's the other shrimp that I'm really not sure about.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (120.01 KiB) Viewed 2551 times
peterm242
Egg
Egg

Post by peterm242 »

peterm242 wrote:Here's the other shrimp that I'm really not sure about.

Once again sorry for bad quality.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Although it's really hard to tell from that picture I am reasonably sure that you have a form of a red cherry shrimp called "red rili shrimp." It's a female. And, no, it won't interbreed with the crystal red shrimp.
peterm242
Egg
Egg

Post by peterm242 »

Mustafa wrote:Although it's really hard to tell from that picture I am reasonably sure that you have a form of a red cherry shrimp called "red rili shrimp." It's a female. And, no, it won't interbreed with the crystal red shrimp.
Ah. Any placce i can get a little supply of something like red cherries or crystal reds for cheap? i dont have much money to spend so the less the better.
peterm242
Egg
Egg

Post by peterm242 »

I went to a local guy and bought 6 red cherries for 25 dollars which I don't know I guess is not too bad. I also realized that one of the more red ones has some little yellow/green balls under it's tail which I'm guessing are eggs. Is there anywhere I can buy some java moss for babies?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

You don't need java moss for the babies, unless you really like the look of moss. The adults do not chase down and eat their young.