Newbie to shrimp

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

albodean
Egg
Egg

Newbie to shrimp

Post by albodean »

Hiya, at the moment I have 7 red cherry shrimp in a 24L cycled tank. I've had them for a week now and theyre getting on fine, good color already and a couple have even molted. I was wondering if it would be ok to put 2 black trumpet snails in with them? Thanks in advance
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Newbie to shrimp

Post by Mustafa »

Yes, it's fine. Keep in mind, however, that most snails sold as "trumpet snails" can reproduce explosively if enough food is available. They'll be all over your aquarium before you know it.
sunhubble
Egg
Egg

Post by sunhubble »

Mustafa wrote:Yes, it's fine. Keep in mind, however, that most snails sold as "trumpet snails" can reproduce explosively if enough food is available. They'll be all over your aquarium before you know it.

Thanks, this helped me a lot.

Last edited by sunhubble on Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peterm242
Egg
Egg

Post by peterm242 »

Mustafa wrote:Yes, it's fine. Keep in mind, however, that most snails sold as "trumpet snails" can reproduce explosively if enough food is available. They'll be all over your aquarium before you know it.
If this does happen to you, buy some assassin snails. I know they are small and stuff but they wont harm youre shrimp as far as i know and they will eat youre excess snails. I know the eating part from experience.
albodean
Egg
Egg

Post by albodean »

Thanks for the replies! I'll definitely keep an eye out for that lol. Also, dried banana leaves, are these beneficial for the shrimp?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I'm not sure what you mean by "beneficial", but the shrimp will pick on the bacteria that will form on such dried leaves. Don't put to large a piece in there, though, as it may cause a bacterial bloom which can decrease the amount of oxygen in the water. Shrimp are very sensitive to that.
albodean
Egg
Egg

Post by albodean »

Mustafa wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by "beneficial", but the shrimp will pick on the bacteria that will form on such dried leaves. Don't put to large a piece in there, though, as it may cause a bacterial bloom which can decrease the amount of oxygen in the water. Shrimp are very sensitive to that.
I read this link http://www.thaicatappa.com/index.php?la ... =539123800 which says they are good for tanks as they stop bacteria growth amongst other things, is this just nonsense?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

albodean wrote:
Mustafa wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by "beneficial", but the shrimp will pick on the bacteria that will form on such dried leaves. Don't put to large a piece in there, though, as it may cause a bacterial bloom which can decrease the amount of oxygen in the water. Shrimp are very sensitive to that.
I read this link http://www.thaicatappa.com/index.php?la ... =539123800 which says they are good for tanks as they stop bacteria growth amongst other things, is this just nonsense?
Yes, most of it is nonsense. It's a sales pitch. Shrimp don't need any of that (and too much of it can actually be detrimental), and there are no fish that need tannins in their water. What those fish care about is low pH as they are adapted to those conditions. The low pH is what keeps bacterial levels low. It's just coincidental that there are a lot of low pH rivers with lots of tannins.
amccauley
Egg
Egg

Post by amccauley »

Hi,
I am also very new at owning a shrimp tank. A wonderful lady "gifted" it to me because she couldn't take it with her when she moved from MI to AR. Anyway...be very careful with the snails! I know this from my fish tanks as well. In fact, I am spending my day purging my shrimp tank of snails because it is so overloaded with them. As I stated, I am so new at taking care of shrimp that I have apparently been over feeding them. Good luck with your shrimp tank :)