Breeding

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

YoungMrHoward
Larva
Larva

Breeding

Post by YoungMrHoward »

I have been enjoying my super shrimp. Some of them seem rather pale while others are very red. What can I do to promote breeding?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Breeding

Post by Mustafa »

YoungMrHoward wrote:I have been enjoying my super shrimp. Some of them seem rather pale while others are very red. What can I do to promote breeding?
Just leave them alone...LOL. :-D Seriously, the less you do, the more likely these shrimp will breed. Just feed them every two weeks, fill up evaporated water, let algae take over the sides of your tank, and....sit back. It can take months before you see larvae, but they *will* appear at some point. Once they get going, you'll see larvae quite frequently. And yes, the color can vary due to various reasons and from shrimp to shrimp.
YoungMrHoward
Larva
Larva

Re: Breeding: still waiting...

Post by YoungMrHoward »

I'm still enjoying my shrimp. They are very active and healthy looking. However, I never see berried shrimp or larvae. I've had the shrimp for about a year, and I feed them once or twice a month. They are always eating algae though. I only have five. Could they all be the same sex?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Breeding

Post by Mustafa »

It's possible. For breeding purposes I always recommend at least 10. That way it's pretty much guaranteed that you will have males and females. Even with five you may actually have both genders. Sometimes it just takes a long time for shrimp to reach maturity and then start breeding depending on your conditions. You can try to increase the amount of feeding (not the frequency) by a tiny bit and see how that goes. If you notice the shrimp acting weird after you change the amount of food, just stop feeding altogether until they run around picking at things again.