A great resource for scientific information on these shrimp

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

ernopena
Larva
Larva

A great resource for scientific information on these shrimp

Post by ernopena »

The University of Hawaii has a great document that describes in scientific terms the natural habitat and the feeding and reproductive habits of the Hawaiian Red Shrimp (Halocaridina rubra). The document is titled Feeding, Reproduction, and Sense Organs of the Hawaiian Anchialine Shrimp Halocaridina rubra (Atyidae).

This document was very enlightening, especially where it describes the shrimp's natural epigeal-hypogeal habitat and their natural feeding habits. I found much of what I've read on other forums and websites regarding feeding, care, and building a tank goes against how the shrimp live in the wild. You should definitely read this!!

You can download the 9.8MB PDF here:
http://scholarspace.manoa.hawaii.edu/handle/10125/2024

Here is the abstract:
The Hawaiian endemic shrimp Halocaridina rubra Holthuis currently inhabits anchialine pools on Maui, Kaho'olawe, O'ahu, Moloka'i, and Hawai'i islands. Information is presented on the feeding, reproductive, and sensory biology of these shrimp.

Feeding cheliped setae are of two types, serrated setae that scrape the substrate surface and filamentous setae that collect the loosened food materials or act as filters. The shrimp are primarily microphagous grazers that scrape the surface of the algal-cyano bacterial crust on pool substrates.This grazing activity is essential in maintaining the integrity of the crust,an actively growing matrix of plants, bacteria, diatoms, protozoans, and underlying siliceous and carbonate materials.

Filter feeding is only observed in pools with dense phytoplankton blooms. The first and second pleopods of male and female shrimp are illustrated, and reproduction in captive populations from Hawai'i and O'ahu locations is described. Sense organs examined include the eye, aesthetasc hairs, campaniform sensilla, ringed setae, and abdominal pits with flared setae.

The anchialine shrimp H. rubra appears to be a generalist, feeds as a microphagous grazer or filter feeder, is well adapted to the epigeal-hypogeal habitat in the pools, reproduces in the subterranean portion of the habitat, and s equipped with sensory structures that detect motion and chemical changes in the environment. Survival of this endemic species is dependent upon the continued integrity of its habitat, which is unique and sparsely represented on five of the eight high Hawaiian Islands.