shrimp or crab

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Monkanater
Larva
Larva

shrimp or crab

Post by Monkanater »

whats the bigest shrimp for fresh water? plus what will work better a crab or a shrimp of eqal size at cleaning the bottom of my tank.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I don't know about the biggest shrimp, but one of the largest shrimp you can get is Macrobrachium rosenbergii, which get huge and are predatory fish hunters. You really do not want those guys in your tank, except you have a large enough tank and keep them singly (since they also mutilate each other).

I would also not keep any crabs in your tank since crabs that are sold in petstores *absolutely* need some dry land to climb on and should not be kept under water indefinitely...they are amphibious.

Mustafa
Monkanater
Larva
Larva

Post by Monkanater »

Petshrimp.com wrote:I don't know about the biggest shrimp, but one of the largest shrimp you can get is Macrobrachium rosenbergii, which get huge and are predatory fish hunters. You really do not want those guys in your tank, except you have a large enough tank and keep them singly (since they also mutilate each other).

I would also not keep any crabs in your tank since crabs that are sold in petstores *absolutely* need some dry land to climb on and should not be kept under water indefinitely...they are amphibious.

Mustafa

thanks for the info mustafa.