Saddled or not?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

peterm242
Egg
Egg

Saddled or not?

Post by peterm242 »

I'm
Having issues knowing whether or not this shrimp is saddled. I am pretty sure I see the saddle, but it really doesn't look female. Here's a photo.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (135.25 KiB) Viewed 1516 times
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Saddled or not?

Post by Mustafa »

Yes, you have a female with eggs in her ovaries ("saddle").
peterm242
Egg
Egg

Post by peterm242 »

Mustafa wrote:Yes, you have a female with eggs in her ovaries ("saddle").
Now i have like 6 of them. This one has been saddled for 2 weeks and there are still no eggs under any of their tails, but they still have saddles. I have 20 shrimp. Is it possible i have no males?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

peterm242 wrote:Is it possible i have no males?
If you got these shrimp from a local store or from an online seller that imports these shrimp (instead of breeding them), then it's not only likely that you have no males, but highly probable. Most dwarf shrimp imported and sold in stores are females. Finding a male is like winning the lottery.
peterm242
Egg
Egg

Post by peterm242 »

How would
Mustafa wrote:
peterm242 wrote:Is it possible i have no males?
If you got these shrimp from a local store or from an online seller that imports these shrimp (instead of breeding them), then it's not only likely that you have no males, but highly probable. Most dwarf shrimp imported and sold in stores are females. Finding a male is like winning the lottery.

How would you recommend I buy a male? I bought from a guy on eBay who sold me 15. I guess they are all females as its been like 3 weeks now that they are saddled.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

There are only two options. You can either order again from a reputable breeder and hope that you actually get males in a batch of shrimp, or try to convince a breeder to sell you males only, which will probably be more expensive since the males have to to specifically recognized and caught and will be full adults. You're not going to get someone to send you only one male, though. It's just not going to be worth the effort for that person, and probably not worth the shipping costs for you. Even if it's one shrimp it still needs to be sent in an insulated shipping container, possibly with a heat pack. You'd have to pay full price shipping.