Snails and macro algae

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

YoungMrHoward
Larva
Larva

Snails and macro algae

Post by YoungMrHoward »

I have 5 super shrimp in a 1 gallon brackish aquarium. I am thinking of adding 10 snails and the macro algae. I have several questions: 1. Does the algae produce oxygen? 2. Will adding the snails and algae overcrowd? 3. Would water changes become necessary? 4. Would additional feeding become necessary? Thanks.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Snails and macro algae

Post by Mustafa »

10 snails and the macroalga are fine in a 1 gallon. No problems at all. No water changes still. You should still feed every two weeks or so either way (every little). Although these shrimp can live without food for months (and even years) they do much better (and actually grow much larger) if they get fed. You don't want to intentionally starve them. And yes, as any plant does, the macroalga produces oxygen during the day when the lights are on. Oxygen is not a big concern with these shrimp, though. They have adapted to live in environments that have very low levels of oxygen.
YoungMrHoward
Larva
Larva

Post by YoungMrHoward »

Thanks. Just to clarify. I do feed my shrimp as described. I thought I would have to increase feeding for the sake of the snails.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

YoungMrHoward wrote:Thanks. Just to clarify. I do feed my shrimp as described. I thought I would have to increase feeding for the sake of the snails.
Oh, I see. Still, no increased feeding needed. If you feed too much, not only will it mess up the water parameters, it will also cause a snail population explosion. The snails can live on very little food and are just fine with whatever they find naturally growing in the tank.
dan d
Larva
Larva

Post by dan d »

Mustafa wrote: Oh, I see. Still, no increased feeding needed. If you feed too much, not only will it mess up the water parameters, it will also cause a snail population explosion. The snails can live on very little food and are just fine with whatever they find naturally growing in the tank.
This is another good post as I am learning so much here, my concern with snails is the population explosion. I have ramshorn snails in my endler tank & I cannot weed them out fast enough !

I thought about getting some snails on my last supershrimp order, but I don't want a 100 snails in my tank ! Is this a concern or is this variety of snails a slow reproducer ? I suppose I'm gonna kick myself now for not ordering snails on my last order :roll:

Dan
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

They don't initially reproduce as fast as ramshorns, as ramshorns lay a zillion eggs out of which a zillion snails hatch. These brackish snails are livebearers that produce a few young at a time. If you already have a zillion of these, though, then they can reproduce in large numbers, too. However, feeding in a Supershrimp tank is quite infrequent, so, usually, these snails don't overpopulate a tank. I have them in all of my Supershrimp tanks (and have had them for many years), and I never go around collecting snails because I think I have too many of them. When your shrimp have settled, they outcompete the snails for food (and even reproductively) anyway, as the shrimp are more efficient/economic in every way. You can actually use the snails as an indicator of overfeeding. If you have too many snails, just cut down on the amount of food (still keep it at every two weeks, though). The snail population will regulate itself once less food is available. I always have way more shrimp in all of my tanks than snails.
dan d
Larva
Larva

Post by dan d »

Mustafa wrote:They don't initially reproduce as fast as ramshorns, as ramshorns lay a zillion eggs out of which a zillion snails hatch. These brackish snails are livebearers that produce a few young at a time. If you already have a zillion of these, though, then they can reproduce in large numbers, too. However, feeding in a Supershrimp tank is quite infrequent, so, usually, these snails don't overpopulate a tank. I have them in all of my Supershrimp tanks (and have had them for many years), and I never go around collecting snails because I think I have too many of them. When your shrimp have settled, they outcompete the snails for food (and even reproductively) anyway, as the shrimp are more efficient/economic in every way. You can actually use the snails as an indicator of overfeeding. If you have too many snails, just cut down on the amount of food (still keep it at every two weeks, though). The snail population will regulate itself once less food is available. I always have way more shrimp in all of my tanks than snails.
Hmmmmmm............ So what your saying is I screwed up by not getting snails from you :wink:

Dan
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

dan d wrote: Hmmmmmm............ So what your saying is I screwed up by not getting snails from you :wink:

Dan
Yes, that's exactly what I am saying. :-D Of course not...if you can control the nutrient input then you can control cyanobacteria growth without the snails, too.
dan d
Larva
Larva

Post by dan d »

Mustafa wrote:
dan d wrote: Hmmmmmm............ So what your saying is I screwed up by not getting snails from you :wink:

Dan
Yes, that's exactly what I am saying. :-D Of course not...if you can control the nutrient input then you can control cyanobacteria growth without the snails, too.
I'm going to try & control it ! Good info !