Blueberry bee and

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Stalker
Shrimp
Shrimp

Blueberry bee and

Post by Stalker »

Hi.

I have a question.

Are the Blueberry bee and Mamboo bee the same as Caridina sulawesi from petshrimp?

Andare these shrimps related to Caridina aristocratensis?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Blueberry bee and

Post by Mustafa »

No, Caridina sulawesi is a different species, although to the untrained eye they can look similar. What you are talking about is a species that has been described, but the paper is unpublished as of yet. It will be called Caridina boehmei. There is no "Caridina aristocratensis." That's a made up "scientific" name by the company that exports those shrimp from Indonesia.
Stalker
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Stalker »

Tanks you for your answer

What is the scientific name of Caridina aristocratensis? And are the "mamboo bee" Caridina boehmei too? And what about crossbreed between all this shrimps (and the malawa)?

Do you know if C.aristocratensis and C. boehmei are as prolific and as hard than C. sulwesi and C. parvidentata?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Stalker wrote:Tanks you for your answer

What is the scientific name of Caridina aristocratensis?
--If you are referring to the following shirmp, then it's Caridina parvidentata:

And are the "mamboo bee" Caridina boehmei too?
--You probably mean "mambo" (not mamboo) shrimp, which is another confusing name used for multiple species. Most of the time it also refers to Caridina boehmei, too.
And what about crossbreed between all this shrimps (and the malawa)?
--Malawa and C. parvidentata don't seem to crossbreed (i've run some experiments). C. boehmei does not seem to crossbreed with the aforementioned species, either. This are not definitive results, though, as further experiments are needed.
Do you know if C.aristocratensis and C. boehmei are as prolific and as hard than C. sulawesi and C. parvidentata?
--C. boehmei is a very sensitive shrimp. One of the most sensitive I know of. Not an easy one to keep as they are all really weak wild-caught imports. It's hard to establish a colony from such weak, sick/stressed out animals. I'm trying though. C. parvidentata is rarely imported. They are fairly hardy and relatively easy to breed (and quite productive). By the way...the Malawa shrimp is NOT Caridina parvidentata. It's Caridina pareparensis parvidentata. They are two different species. I know, it's confusing that part of their names is the same, but we have to make sure that we are using the correct scientific names, otherwise the discussion becomes pretty useless due to the confusion.
Stalker
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Stalker »

Ok, i missed something. However, I read in a scientific paper (I try to find it again) saying that Caridina pareparensis parvidentata is not related to Caridina pareparensis, so it must be called Caridina parvidentata without the pareparensis, my mistake came from that. It's very strange that blueberry bee and mambo bee are not the same species...

Maybe I have found a french breeder of Blueberry bee and nemo bee. this is not wildcaught shrimps, so maybe theire are less sensitive than the wild ones. I will ask the breeder and i hope theire are easy shrimps.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Stalker wrote:It's very strange that blueberry bee and mambo bee are not the same species...
--Sorry, I corrected my post above. They are the same species. For some reason I thought you were asking about the shrimp called "nemo" bee by some exporters, which is Caridina parvidentata. "Mambo bee" is Caridina boehmei.
Maybe I have found a french breeder of Blueberry bee and nemo bee. this is not wildcaught shrimps, so maybe theire are less sensitive than the wild ones. I will ask the breeder and i hope theire are easy shrimps.
--Caridina parvidentata ("nemo") is not all that sensitive and breeds readily. If your french breeder has a breeding population of Caridina boehmei, I would love to see some pictures. I'm sure they are going to be established in the hobby at some point, but right now there are no captive-bred populations that I know of. I have managed to breed them and have some offspring that are now adults, but I can't call them a "breeding population" yet as I don't have that many of them, yet. Out of hundreds of imported animals only a handful survive long enough to reproduce so far...unfortunately.
Stalker
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Stalker »

Tanks for your answers.