Can a tank for Supershrimp be Airtight?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

ShrimpyShrimpShrimp
Larva
Larva

Can a tank for Supershrimp be Airtight?

Post by ShrimpyShrimpShrimp »

Hi,

I have been reading everything here but haven't found the answer i'm looking for. I know Supershrimp don't require a filter, do require a light, however i don't know if an airtight container like a large pickle jar or mason jar with a screw top airtight lid can be used. Can they?

Could a larger piece of coral be used in the container? I read a few small pieces the size of chicken nuggets should be added, can you overdo this to the detriment of the water conditions?

Many Thanks
brianc
Egg
Egg

Re: Can a tank for Supershrimp be Airtight?

Post by brianc »

I wouldnt imagine it would be a good idea. They would need some oxygen once in a while. I'm not expert but I think it would be healthier if you had some oxygen going to the surface.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Can a tank for Supershrimp be Airtight?

Post by Mustafa »

brianc wrote:I wouldnt imagine it would be a good idea. They would need some oxygen once in a while. I'm not expert but I think it would be healthier if you had some oxygen going to the surface.
I generally agree with your statement. In the long run, the shrimp will probably do better if there is some oxygen that can permeate into the water. Having said that, this species is very special in that it can live under extremely low oxygen conditions, so low that most other aquatic animals simply keel over and die whereas these guys just happily pick for food on various substrates. That's why they can live in completely sealed glass containers. Not that those things are optimal or anything (far from it..read the information pages to learn more), but the fact that they can even stay alive in those for a few years kinda tells you how incredible these shrimp are.

So...short answer...yes, they can live in completely sealed containers. I have no idea, though, if they will actually grow and reproduce as well (or at all) under such conditions. I have not experimented with such a setup, but if I ever do (over a longer period of time) I will, of course, report my findings on Petshrimp.com.