Neo Confusion

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

mrshrimpy
Egg
Egg

Neo Confusion

Post by mrshrimpy »

I haven't looked at new shrimp for awhile. I used to see just Blue Pearls, now I see blue neos, blue velvets and the pearls. What is the difference? Same with the dark greens and green babaulti. Other than taking someones word for it is there any way to tell the diferences?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Neo Confusion

Post by Mustafa »

Of course you don't just take someone's word for it randomly, but that's a good place to start if the person knows what he/she is talking about. These shrimp are pretty common and not that hard to tell apart, so just look at pictures on this website (not all those varieties are up, yet) and type their names into a picture search (such as google's) and just look at the various pictures. It's kind of like telling the difference between a fox and a coyote, or horse and a donkey, or a cow and a water buffalo. Nobody is going to sit there and try to describe any minute differences if you can take a look at a bunch of pictures and learn to tell the differences. It's just more efficient. You just have to be able to filter out all the mislabeled pictures, but, luckily, they are few in number. The "green shrimp" and the "dark green shrimp" are probably the exact same species from either different locations or they change their coloration on different substrates.