Injured Opae Ula shrimp

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

roseynick
Egg
Egg

Injured Opae Ula shrimp

Post by roseynick »

I have four little Opae Ula shrimp and love them to bits, however, whilst giving their container a clean out today i caught one of the smaller ones under a small pebble by accident. I carefully moved the pebble off it, and it slowly crawled away from where it was and acted a bit slower than normal. Since then however, its condition appears to have deteriorated as it seems to have lost the ability to swim, instead it just lays on the bottom, occasionally kicking its legs. Also when it attempts to crawl or one of the shrimps swim into it by accident, it flops over onto its back or side and just lyes there motionless, only occasionally moving a leg or two. On a few occasions i have gently moved their container to try to flip the poor thing back onto its front, but i don't want to do this too often as i'm scared i'm going to hurt it more, or injure the others. This is the first time i've had shrimp, so i'm not a great expert on problems, but could somebody give me any information on what could be wrong with it, and/or if it will recover. thank you :(
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Injured Opae Ula shrimp

Post by Mustafa »

Sorry to read about your accident. As you have probably noticed by now, your shrimp is doomed. Shrimp that get injured to a degree where they can barely move anymore (or just twitch around) do not recover. These animals are very delicate and get injured easily. Fortunately, they are really quick and avoid most injuries by just getting out of the way. But, as in this case, they do get caught once in a while. You can't really do anything to save your shrimp.
LeShrimp
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: Injured Opae Ula shrimp

Post by LeShrimp »

That's unfortunate :( just leave the poor guy and let nature take its course.