Shrimp dying; help! Fungus on driftwood to blame?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

aquakej
Egg
Egg

Shrimp dying; help! Fungus on driftwood to blame?

Post by aquakej »

I am a very experienced fish keeper, and have success with shrimp in other aquariums. I set up an "Evolve 8" desktop aquarium just for shrimp a few weeks ago. I put lots of plants and moss in it, bought special Fluval shrimp substrate, have a protected filter, heater, etc. I did buy some aquarium driftwood from Big Al's Online, and it has this strange slimy white fungus growing all over it. Is anyone familiar with this?
I bought 10 cherry shrimp the other day (4 days ago). All were doing well for the first 24-48 hours. Then they started gradually dying. No clue why. I changed the water out and got rid of the dead shrimp. Another one is dead this morning, and I have yet to see a live one today. The tank is so planted, I have no idea how many are actually alive in there. The only weird thing is the fungus on the driftwood.

FYI, I started with RO water with just a little bit of tap, for minerals. When I did the water change yesterday, I put more tap water in (treated, of course). I have been adding "Stability" (a cycling product by Seachem) every day. The bottle says it is safe for everybody.

Any ideas???
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Shrimp dying; help! Fungus on driftwood to blame?

Post by Mustafa »

Please read the post that I posted in "choojoo's thread. Pretty much everything there applies to your situation, too. The only thing I would like to add is that your tank is also most likely not fully cycled yet. It can take up to two months for a shrimp tank to be ready. Things like "Stability" won't really accelerate this process.