Keeping ghost Shrimp?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Elliriyanna
Egg
Egg

Keeping ghost Shrimp?

Post by Elliriyanna »

I am debating getting a small ghost shrimp tank However I already have 1 5 gallon soon to be two ... Neither of which I feel safe keeping them in ( One is an ADF tank which are better in a species tank ) and the other is a betta tank which is VERY hit or miss...

What is the smallest tank they can be kept in? I am kind of limited on space and I know they have a small Bioload ... I usually only get a trio so I do not want to get another 5 gallon .... Could they happily live in a 1-2 gallon decently planted?
Elliriyanna
Egg
Egg

Re: Keeping ghost Shrimp?

Post by Elliriyanna »

I read the minimum of 10 gallons but that seems insane for a ghost shrimp trio with their low bioload .... Even ADF's dont need that nor do Bettas ...
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Keeping ghost Shrimp?

Post by Mustafa »

Yes, you can keep them in something like a two gallon tank if you will only have a trio. The problem with shrimp is not that they need tons of space, but they are very sensitive to ammonia pollution and other adverse water parameters. It's just easier to have balanced water parameters in larger tanks. Your Betta and Frog can breath air, which makes it possible for them to not be internally (through gills) exposed to high ammonia levels (and low oxygen, of course).