my snail died

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

danzel
Larva
Larva

my snail died

Post by danzel »

my snail died... Do I need to remove it from the tank? Or the supershrimps will eat it?
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: my snail died

Post by KenCotigirl »

I would remove it. However one dead snail (MTS) will affect the water parameters.
danzel
Larva
Larva

Post by danzel »

anymore inputs?

My local shrimp shop told me that it is ok to leave the dead snail in there. He said the super shrimps will eat up the dead snail. BTW My small tank is about 1.7 gallons.
Harry
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Harry »

Yes, but what if a snail dies beneath the substrate where the shrimp can't get to it? I'm thinking it then becomes the job of the other snails to eat the dead one.
danzel
Larva
Larva

Post by danzel »

Update*

Apparently it didn't die. I flipped it over and it started crawling. But its movement is v slow and the amount of "flesh" suction of the glass is v small. It has been like that for over a week and it does not move around actively like the other. So that was why I suspected it died when it flipped over.

Anyone know is such sluggish and weak behaviour is a sign of sickness or??
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

I did not proof read my post. I missed the word not. One dead snail would not be a problem. Happy to hear it is not dead. Sorry for any confusion.

Ken
shrimpy4
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by shrimpy4 »

I just got my snails yesterday and as soon as I put them in they were all over the place, feeding constantly and I was surprised at how quickly they were moving. Some crawled almost entirely out of the water following the gunk on the sides of the bowl.

Today it looks like literally every single one is just sitting still, most buried partially in the rock substrate, and the few that are stuck on the sides of the bowl are just using their footpad but their mouth sucker isn't out and feeding. Maybe they move around in fits and spurts and rest after they've gorged themselves? Have you noticed yours at least being in different parts of your tank or has it been in the same spot for days?
danzel
Larva
Larva

Post by danzel »

I have 2, one of which is very active and constantly move round the tank. It never rest. While the other one is constantly still and is not active. But both of them are on the glass wall. They nv bury themselves into the sand.
shmohney
Larva
Larva

Post by shmohney »

I'm starting my first Opae tank - 1.5 gallons. I got some snails and Chaeto about a month ago - ordered the ten snails and got 13. Plus, in just the last few days, I've spotted at least two tiny baby snails. I guess they might have been in the bag with the big (relatively speaking) ones, but they're awfully tiny and I'm wondering if they were born since I received them. I'm having to wait a few more weeks to order my first Opae due to various commitments, so I'm obsessing over the snails - checking the tank multiple times per day and seeing how many I can spot. They burrow into the course crushed coral substrate, and hide amongst the pile of small limestone rocks I gathered from my driveway gravel. I amuse myself with this snail obsession.
Harry
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Harry »

The snails reproduce like mad. I received my Opae and snails about two weeks ago and have seen several baby snails already. Some may have been in the micro-algae. They climb the walls of my tank after the lights go out. That's the only time I see them.
danzel
Larva
Larva

Post by danzel »

Update 2*

It seems that the snail is unable to keep suction on the glass. Once again it fell down. I'm seriously thinking it is gonna die soon. Anyone have such experience before?
Harry
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Harry »

All snails drop from the glass. They are good engineers and use gravity to aid their travels. In a few months, your only concern will be that you have too many snails.
danzel
Larva
Larva

Post by danzel »

Harry wrote:All snails drop from the glass. They are good engineers and use gravity to aid their travels. In a few months, your only concern will be that you have too many snails.
But mine has v little suction. The surface area touching the glass is significantly smaller than the other snail. I think it has weak health
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Just clear something up here...from what danzel is saying he seems to have some type of nerite species in his tank. So, there won't be any young. What the rest of you have is Tarebia granifera (don't think I have sent out any Melanoides tuberculata, yet). Nerites have a hard time getting back on their "foot" if they happen to fall and turn upside down. No problem for T. granifera. By the way, if you don't overfeed, your snail population won't explode either. I will reach a certain point and stabilize.
danzel
Larva
Larva

Post by danzel »

Update 3*

My weak snail died. And the Shrimps ate it in like a day.

So for those whose snail died, it is ok to leave it in the tank as the shrimps will "take care" of it.