Berried Shrimp Video plus question re eggs

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

BostonJill
Shrimp
Shrimp

Berried Shrimp Video plus question re eggs

Post by BostonJill »

Just uploaded a video of my berried shrimp. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Vw9D40k39o
Although most of her eggs seemed tucked under her she looks like one or so are hanging. Is that normal or do they come apart from the sharp surfaces of the lava rocks I have in my tank?
Jill
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: Berried Shrimp Video plus question re eggs

Post by KenCotigirl »

I have found that Opae hold their eggs much more loosely than the freshwater shrimp. And for what ever reason they may drop some of their eggs over the first week or so. After that even though they are held loosely they are held till hatching.
BostonJill
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by BostonJill »

Thank you so much! Hope to see little larvae soon.
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

I cannot seem to get my hands on the information I do this from memory. Five weeks for eggs to hatch into advanced larvae and three weeks to baby shrimp.
danzel
Larva
Larva

Post by danzel »

sorry for out of topic!

I just saw some of your youtube video and I see you have many shrimps! Looks good :smt007

How many shrimps do you have?
shrimpy4
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by shrimpy4 »

The females carry the eggs just inside the top of their abdomen before berrying, correct?

I can't tell if it's one of the new batch I just put in or if it's one of the earlier group of 18 (I'm guessing it's one of the new ones) but it looks like one of the shrimp has a cluster of 5 or 6 greenish looking spheres in there. None of the other shrimp I see has that.

I'm hoping she'll actually feel comfortable enough to release them. What happens if she doesn't? Will she just dispose or consume the eggs?
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

Green eggs?! Wow. How about a picture.
BostonJill
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by BostonJill »

danzel wrote:sorry for out of topic!

I just saw some of your youtube video and I see you have many shrimps! Looks good :smt007

How many shrimps do you have?
I have about 60ish in a five gallon tank.
shrimpy4
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by shrimpy4 »

COTIGIRL wrote:Green eggs?! Wow. How about a picture.
Haha, not quite Dr. Seuss, but they look greenish to me. I'll try to take a picture tomorrow, I think it's just the one. The mass is definitely above the intestinal tract though and within the carapace. I'm hoping they're eggs, but I'm worried if it's one of the new shrimp that she won't actually release them but just let them die while she adapts. I was looking at some old threads and it seems like having a dark, secluded place to release is key to breeding. The most I have are some conical shells where they can hide, but they're not dark :(.
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

Hi. Not to be a wet blanket but the dark area is not eggs. Eggs are found behind the eyes. Dr. Santos provided that info. The dark area is hepatopancreas. It is the green spongy material that is encountered when you get up into the head area of the lobster dinner.
shrimpy4
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by shrimpy4 »

Ahhh, bummer.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

COTIGIRL wrote:Hi. Not to be a wet blanket but the dark area is not eggs. Eggs are found behind the eyes. Dr. Santos provided that info. The dark area is hepatopancreas. It is the green spongy material that is encountered when you get up into the head area of the lobster dinner.
There may be some confusion about this, even among some researchers. Supershrimp have visible eggs in their ovaries, just like freshwater atyid shrimp. That spongy material is something different...