Worried about my room temperature for my SuperShrimps

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

ShrimpGuy
Larva
Larva

Worried about my room temperature for my SuperShrimps

Post by ShrimpGuy »

This winter has been very cold and to keep my already expensive gas bills down, I've kept it pretty darn cold in the house. Most of my reading
says that temperature is no concern for the supershrimp. But I wonder if they expect people to keep it THIS cold in the house. I keep the temp
at 66 degrees all day and night. Is that too cold. What about for the brackish snails I purchased from this site? Would it be better if I installed
a mini heater in my 2.5 gal tank?

Although I've only had my tank mates for 24 hours, I still worry they are not happy. Most of the snails haven't moved much and those that have
seem to have headed toward the top water line of the tank. And I can't even find my supershrimp, as they went straight into hiding.

The tank IS a new set up. The water is at 1.012 and I've added the Microalgae purchased from this site. I also added Quickstart when i set up
the tank at week ago (worked great for all my other brand new shrimp tank setups). I also added some very algae covered rocks from my other freshwater
tanks. Was thinking the shrimp and snails would love that?

I guess my main concern is the temp. Is it too cold?

With all the reading I've been doing here, I also read it might be beneficial to add a mini heater to the light timer. It would heat up during the day, and
cool off at night, like in nature. What do you think?

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated!
LeShrimp
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: Worried about my room temperature for my SuperShrimps

Post by LeShrimp »

I keep mine at 70 Fahrenheit 66 should be OK and if you are really concerned put a heater in the tank.
Harry
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Harry »

A desk lamp with an incandescent bulb, about 12 to 15 inches above the top of the tank will boost the water temperature into the 70s. You need a lamp anyway to grow algae.
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

Fresh water algae in a brackish is a no no. It will die. Dead = ammonia which is bad. Especially in a small tank. I would remove the freshwater algae. Temps. in the mid 60's should not be a problem. No heater.
ShrimpGuy
Larva
Larva

Post by ShrimpGuy »

OK
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

As Cotigirl said, no heater needed. Some of the habitats of these shrimp have temps in the 50s...I have observed them at 39 degrees, both adults and larvae. Adults were slow, but still feeding. Any room temps you're likely to have in your house won't be a problem at all for these guys.