Looking for ideas

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

BostonJill
Shrimp
Shrimp

Looking for ideas

Post by BostonJill »

I want to create a Super Shrimp Tank which is very eye catching. I have a vase that's seven inches high and the mouth opening is about two inches. I will be using white sand because the shrimp seem to show up better on lighter colors. I notice when the shrimp are on my black lava rocks in my five gallon tank their harder to see. Does anyone have any ideas for "filling up vertical space" by using rock, coral or some other structures that will be eye catching in a small vase but look realistic? I don't want it to look like an Ecosphere. I attached a picture of the vase. Thanks in advance!
LeShrimp
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: Looking for ideas

Post by LeShrimp »

There is a ton of cool coral out there. Also, the shrimp do prefer the dark lava rock because they feel safer because they blend into it.
Harry
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Harry »

The fukubonsai site sells opae as "microlobsters". If you check the various opae tanks they sell, you will see how they create shapely rock structures using smaller pieces. I believe they use a hot melt gun, as hot melt is relatively inert and often used to make aquarium decorations. I have a small seascape made with hot melt in my opae jar and it seems fine. You can see that here in one of my posts. You should be able to create a nice tall and slender pillar of stone (or any other shape) that will fit down into your 2" opening. You will need tongs of course, to complete your vase as the opening is only 2" and you will likely need to move things around.
BostonJill
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by BostonJill »

Harry wrote:The fukubonsai site sells opae as "microlobsters". If you check the various opae tanks they sell, you will see how they create shapely rock structures using smaller pieces. I believe they use a hot melt gun, as hot melt is relatively inert and often used to make aquarium decorations. I have a small seascape made with hot melt in my opae jar and it seems fine. You can see that here in one of my posts. You should be able to create a nice tall and slender pillar of stone (or any other shape) that will fit down into your 2" opening. You will need tongs of course, to complete your vase as the opening is only 2" and you will likely need to move things around.
Thank you so much Harry. Is a hot melt gun like a craft glue gun? Do you think I can also use Aquarium Sealant? Also do you know if the small lava rocks you get for landscaping is safe for aquarium use? I'm assuming these are the small lava rocks you glue together to form these larger structures inside the vase.
Harry
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Harry »

Craft glue gun sounds like a hot melt gun. You put in these cylinders of hot melt glue, about 3/8 or 1/2 inch diameter and about 3 inches long. You plug the gun in and it heats the glue and dispenses the liquid glue where you want. The glue hardens quickly. You can get lava rocks on amazon. I always boil them for a while before using them.