Red Cherry Shrimp -I am an Idiot *_*

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

sportsfan2
Egg
Egg

Red Cherry Shrimp -I am an Idiot *_*

Post by sportsfan2 »

1 month ago, after my betta of 18 months died, I decided to start from scratch fearing the possibility of sickness/disease in the aquarium and embark on a shrimp only tank.

It is a 10 gallon, with a 50W heater, and a sponge filter. Knowing I needed to cycle this brand new tank. I bought pure ammonia, API Master test kit, Seachem Prime, and.... Tetra Safe Start -_-.

I added Caribsea Super Naturals Tahitian moon sand (rinsed), and then added my driftwood marimo moss ball, java fern, and Anubias. Then added Seachem Prime. Then exams came and... yea... the tank was just filled with plants

FAST FORWARD TO TODAY (The Tank is Uncycled)>

From here everything goes downhill....Well today my pushy cousins came over and begged me to buy shrimp since I had a perfectly good setup just sitting there. I finally broke, added the TSS, and then being such as STUPID ***** IDIOT thinking the TSS needed ammonia I dosed the water to 1ppm Ammonia (that's what it reads as of 1 hour ago). I figured that for some reason I wasnt going to the LFS that day. But then off we went to my LFS where I bought 5 Cherry Shrimp.

FAST FORWARD 2 HOURS AGO>>

The shrimp are currently in a half gallon betta container, with Wysteria. The water is only about 2 inches high (0.1 a gallon of water all from the LFS bag) They seem to be pretty chill they're walking around normally. Meanwhile The ammonia in the tank still reads 1ppm, sponge filter running. Also the pH is 8

I am such a nublet.... *sigh*

Right now I feel my options are:

1) Add Prime to the 10 gallon, to detoxify the ammonia. Add the shrimp and do a crapload of WC's.

2) Fill the 1/2 gallon container to capacity with Prime treated water, add an airstone, meanwhile cycle the 10 gallon with TSS.

I've heard conflicting reports that Prime makes TSS null and void (kills the beneficial baceria). I also know that TSS will die without ammonia generated from fish/shrimp (This is why I thought dosing ammonia would be good).
It seems that I should forget the TSS, add the shrimp, and just do constant WC's with Prime to keep the ammonia in check for the shrimps..

I know RCS are extremely sensitive to Ammonia. Please, I beg for expert advice.

Thanks.

BTW, I'm a teen (16 years)
sportsfan2
Egg
Egg

Re: Red Cherry Shrimp -I am an Idiot *_*

Post by sportsfan2 »

My apologies for double posting.
sportsfan2
Egg
Egg

Post by sportsfan2 »

Hi all,

I decided to leave the 5 RCS in the half gallon container, filled it to 0.4 gallons added a mossball (also Wisteria), and left it in sunlight. This will be their home for next few weeks. Will do a 25% change every 2 days.

Meanwhile, ill cycle the 10 gallon by adding the pure ammonia, and leaving the TSS.

Thank you.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

sportsfan2 wrote:Hi all,

I decided to leave the 5 RCS in the half gallon container, filled it to 0.4 gallons added a mossball (also Wisteria), and left it in sunlight. This will be their home for next few weeks. Will do a 25% change every 2 days.

Meanwhile, ill cycle the 10 gallon by adding the pure ammonia, and leaving the TSS.

Thank you.
Good choice! As you noticed, cycling a tank with ammonia with the shrimp in it wasn't the best idea. Most of the time just letting a tank sit for a month or two will automatically cycle a tank...no additional ammonia needed. Most tap water supplies in the US already have ammonia right out of the tap.