Setting up a 2.5 Gallon Shimp only tank

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

ckshirmp
Egg
Egg

Setting up a 2.5 Gallon Shimp only tank

Post by ckshirmp »

I have a 2.5 gallon walk mount tank that I would like to make a shrimp only tank. It will be a completely new set up so I am looking for suggestions as far as substrate and which type of shrimp will do best in this setting. I have a piece of drift wood attached to a small piece of slate that i will be putting in the tank. I plan on putting in a sponge filter. All help would be appreciated
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Setting up a 2.5 Gallon Shimp only tank

Post by Mustafa »

You can use any substrate you like, actually. Sand, gravel..doesn't really matter. I would not use drift wood unless you are planning on doing constant water changes (which in itself could be a problem depending on your water source). Driftwood releases tannins into the water, which not only discolor the water (yellow, or brown even), but may cause bacterial outbreaks.
ckshirmp
Egg
Egg

Post by ckshirmp »

The driftwood came from my lfs and it already been soaked to remove the tannins as well as boiled. Are cherrys the best option for the shrimp. And should I use "wild caught" leaves ontop of the substrate or ones obtained from an other source
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Red cherry shrimp work well, but Malawa shrimp and Caridina sulawesi work just as well. With wood, it does not matter how long you soaked it, over time it will still release tannins as the wood gets processed by microorganisms...it will be less than wood that has not been soaked, but it will still happen. You can use a brown, dry leaf from your backyard or park or something. Just make sure you soak it in a separate container until it sinks (and possibly until leeching of tannins is at a minimum).
ckshirmp
Egg
Egg

Post by ckshirmp »

Seems to make sense and they do I just do a normal weekly water change? Also how long do I leave the leaves in the bottom before I change them out. I live in Florida so is there a type of tree that is better to harvest the leaves from? Also if I'm not going to be using drift wood or live plants what would be another option for the shrimp to climb on and hide in? Is small broken taracotta pots a good idea?
ckshirmp
Egg
Egg

Post by ckshirmp »

What is best decor for cherries as I am not finding much in the way of decor on the forums. Also how long should the leaves stay in the tank before I pull them out and replace them. Is there any concern about new leaves changing the water chemestry too much?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

ckshirmp wrote:What is best decor for cherries as I am not finding much in the way of decor on the forums. Also how long should the leaves stay in the tank before I pull them out and replace them. Is there any concern about new leaves changing the water chemestry too much?
There is no "best decor", that's why you're not finding much. You can decorate your tank at your heart's desire as long as you do it with non leeching, non-water parameter affecting materials. The rest is up to you. Plants? sure...just none that you need to fertilize. Plastic plants? Sure, no problem. Rocks? Sure...etc...etc.. You don't pull out leaves...they eventually disintegrate. That's when you can put a new one in. Leaves are *not* necessary, though.
ckshirmp
Egg
Egg

Post by ckshirmp »

Are dried oak leaves Alright to put in the tank with any type of shrimp? Or is is the dried leaves more of a red cherry thing? I have gotten established filter water from my lfs and I should be ready from shrimp this weekend. I just want to make sure I am actually "ready" for them.
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

If you use leaves use old dead leaves like from the Fall. They need to soak in another container till they sink. Then you can add them. If I use them I grab a leaf from the bottom of my koi pond.
Ken
ckshirmp
Egg
Egg

Post by ckshirmp »

Alright that sounds good. Just wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to poison my shrimp by putting the wrong kind of leaf in there for them to munch on. I ended up getting orange sakuras from my lfs as the owner said that he has a lot of requests for them and never has them in stock. He gave them to at a great price as long as he gets the first batch of shrimplets when they come. Also I have read online putting a blanched carrot in a cherry tank will help them color up a bit more I didn't know if that was the case with the little ones as well. Thanks and I look forward to hearing from the senior members of the shrimp world on this.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Ken already said all there is to say about leaves, really. Don't overthink it. :) As for your orange shrimp...I hope you got some males in there, because the pet store ones are usually shipped from the far east and they don't generally include males.
ckshirmp
Egg
Egg

Post by ckshirmp »

I think I may have one juvi male. Do you stock these shrimp or have a suggestion on where to obtain a male or 2
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

Ckshirmp who are you asking this question? If you were to look on the pet shrimp store that item is not sold. Also I do not believe this type of question is allowed. You may ask for a member to pm you with that info.
Ken
ckshirmp
Egg
Egg

Post by ckshirmp »

I am asking mustafa who I thought was also I charge of the store and breeding side.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Ken is right, I usually don't allow asking for sources of shrimp (which is what he was referring to) to prevent the forum from turning into a marketplace instead of a source of information. Having said that, as with pretty much anything, the best sources are private breeders in your vicinity as most people truly suck at shipping, even if their animals are in great shape (there are exceptions). I don't carry that variety as I have more than enough Neocaridina species here and simply don't have the tank space for the zillion Neocaridina varieties floating around out there currently. It is a nice looking shrimp, through.