Integrating a new snail species?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

LeShrimp
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Integrating a new snail species?

Post by LeShrimp »

Ok so I currently have the snails in a seperate tank where the salinity is around 1.003. Here are some images of the snails.
http://i49.tinypic.com/nvefk7.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/2s8n51z.jpg
My Opae Ula salinity is way higher ( about 1.007-1.008)
Is it possible to slowly acclimate the snails to that salinity or is that pushing it?
Rob in Puyallup
Shrimp
Shrimp
Location: Puyallup, Washington. Thirty miles south of Seattle.

Re: Integrating a new snail species?

Post by Rob in Puyallup »

It depends on the snail. Not all can make the switch.

I have Malaysian Trumpet Snails in both of my opae ula tanks, and they're multiplying like crazy. They originated in an old ten gallon tank that I set up about five years ago. The only thing I've added to this tank over the years is water, the MTS relying on biofilm and algae for their support. They acclimated to brackish water quickly and without any problems.

I've heard that many nerite snails will do fine in a brackish environment, as well. An acquaintance in Hawaii sent me a handful of Theodoxus neglectus, a nerite snail that's native to the anchialine ponds where our opae originate. As expected, they are doing very well in the brackish tanks. They have not reproduced yet, though.
Harry
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Harry »

I have many MTS in my freshwater tank. But I have not acclimated any of them to my Opae tanks. I fear they would multiply way too much. I do have several Tarebia granifera from Mustafa in my Opae tanks. I only have them for about a month and I hope they do not breed excessively, like the MTS.
LeShrimp
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by LeShrimp »

Does anyone have an idea on what this snail species is? I'd like to research them a little.
Harry
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Harry »

They are trapdoor snails and they look like Tarebia granifera. They seem too dark to be Malaysian Trumpet Snails.
LeShrimp
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by LeShrimp »

Harry wrote:They are trapdoor snails and they look like Tarebia granifera. They seem too dark to be Malaysian Trumpet Snails.
They do look very similar to Tarebia granifera
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Rob in Puyallup wrote:An acquaintance in Hawaii sent me a handful of Theodoxus neglectus, a nerite snail that's native to the anchialine ponds where our opae originate. As expected, they are doing very well in the brackish tanks. They have not reproduced yet, though.
That name of that snail is now Neritina neglecta. If it's like most other nerites, you won't see any reproduction...you'll see some eggs and that's about it. They produce free swimming, tiny veligers which are very hard to rear.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Harry wrote: I do have several Tarebia granifera from Mustafa in my Opae tanks. I only have them for about a month and I hope they do not breed excessively, like the MTS.
They can only breed excessively if you feed excessively. They won't produce biomass out of nowhere. :-D In most cases the shrimp will eventually outcompete and outnumber them by far. You'll still have the snails in there but your population of shrimp should be MUCH larger than the population of snails...if you do things correctly. Snails should only be there to "buffer" any mistakes you make by *literally* eating up your mistake (i.e. algae blooms, cyanobacteria etc. due to overfeeding). Once you correct your problems they will just stabilize their population. You don't want your snails to breed "like crazy."