New Tank Set Up - Questions

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

jonlz
Egg
Egg

New Tank Set Up - Questions

Post by jonlz »

Yup, another new tank set up with another new member... Been doing freesh water off and on for years with good results (NO PRO!) But it's time to do something different! Been doing a lot of reading and I've found myself very inspired to raise Opae Ula.

So what I got so far:

Rimless Nano about 4.5gl. or so I think (10 X 10 X12high)
LED Lighting: 3w 27 bulb with 5 blue
And YOU guys :-)

Now I live here in Hawaii on Oahu, so the first three questions I have a pretty simple.

Substrate: Can I use sand from the Beach? If so I was thinking a little on the courser side.
Hardscape: Lava rock should be easy to find on the Westside, would that be ok?
Water: There is a Salt Water source (faucet) down near the Coast Guard station; could I use that to mix with RO Water to achieve the Brackishness?

Thanks in advance for your comments and concerns... Here we go....Wheeeee
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: New Tank Set Up - Questions

Post by KenCotigirl »

Substrate and sand if you can collect it legally why not. Give them a good soaking. Water maybe not. I live in NJ. I would not use sea water. Instant ocean is cheap enough.
jonlz
Egg
Egg

Post by jonlz »

I got the following from the DLNR Web site:

Q: Is it legal to take sand, shells, corals and stones from the beach, or rocks from streams?

A: Chapter 171.58.5 of Hawai`i Revised Statutes states:

Prohibitions. The mining or taking of sand, dead coral or coral rubble, rocks, soil or other marine deposits seaward from the shoreline is prohibited with the following exceptions:
(1) The taking from seaward of the shoreline of such materials, not in excess of one gallon per person per day for reasonable, personal, noncommercial use;

So I can use it, but questioning if it's more suitable and/or beneficial for the habitat of the Shrimp, as compared to substrate out of a bag?
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

That is your call. I do not know if either is more suitable or beneficial.
jonlz
Egg
Egg

Post by jonlz »

After thinking about it, and this being my first time with Opae Ula, I better just follow the guidelines this time.. So I went shopping today, just need to find a nice Lava rock for hardscape, can't wait :-)
IMG_9709.JPG
IMG_9709.JPG (135.59 KiB) Viewed 2661 times
eightoeight
Egg
Egg

Post by eightoeight »

Let me know if you find any lava rock. I only saw a single hand sized black lava rock at Ewa Petco today.

Petland (Kahala) has red lava rocks and other materials. Kalihi Pet Center has some stones and coral as well. Pets Plus had some stones as well but I didn't really get a good look. Petco Beretania didn't have many stones.

I'd like to find some nice black lava rocks. I'm iffy about finding rocks in nature because I'm paranoid about them leeching things into the water, which I'm not even sure they would.

Looking forward to seeing your setup!
jonlz
Egg
Egg

Post by jonlz »

Thanks eightoeight... I was thinking of going to Aquascapes in Aiea tomorrow, I was there a few weeks ago and He said he had a shipment coming in of ADA, Woods and Rocks... Also was thinking of Coral Fish Hawaii... Either way both stores are pricey!.. So something from nature might be my way of going, we'll see...lol

The Substrate I got is gray, so I was thinking that a black lava rock would look nice and really show off the Opae, and even better if it peaked out above the water line, I think that would look pretty cool too...
BostonJill
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by BostonJill »

jonlz wrote:After thinking about it, and this being my first time with Opae Ula, I better just follow the guidelines this time.. So I went shopping today, just need to find a nice Lava rock for hardscape, can't wait :-)
IMG_9709.JPG
Hello Joniz, I found huge black lava rocks at Petco (see pic). I was wondering where you picked up the clip on light. Is it LED? I have seen ones that plug into your computer by USB but was looking for one that plugs into the wall.

jonlz
Egg
Egg

Post by jonlz »

Hi BostonJill.. I got the LED of off ebay, it was 21.95 + 5.95 shipping and it came super fast, it is a wall plug not USB, it also has the feature to run only the 5 blue lights witch is nice I guess...lol... I'll PM you the link to the page :-)
jonlz
Egg
Egg

Post by jonlz »

Ok, getting there... Found hardscape I like, pressure washed it today, going to give it a good soak for a few days. I have to say, it looks Beautiful in person, I'm very happy so far :-) ... Got the timer toady, so I'm going to add the water today to start cycling.
IMG_9717.JPG
IMG_9717.JPG (107.57 KiB) Viewed 2634 times
Rob in Puyallup
Shrimp
Shrimp
Location: Puyallup, Washington. Thirty miles south of Seattle.

Post by Rob in Puyallup »

Looks beautiful in a photo, too Jon!

Can hardly wait to see some shrimp in it!
jonlz
Egg
Egg

Post by jonlz »

Rob in Puyallup wrote:Looks beautiful in a photo, too Jon!

Can hardly wait to see some shrimp in it!
Thanks Rob, me too, can't wait... Cycle time, you think by next weekend it should be ready?
Rob in Puyallup
Shrimp
Shrimp

Are you adding any bacteria cultures?

I have two favorites, Nutrafin Cycle and Seachem Stability.

If you go by label directions you can stock your tank right away.

Just don't overstock or overfeed.
jonlz
Egg
Egg

Post by jonlz »

Nope, no bacteria cultures. Should I be adding something like that? Otherwise will it cycle on it's own?
Rob in Puyallup
Shrimp
Shrimp

I've been using these type cultures for years.

Gets things moving like we want.

There are differing opinions around here, I'm sure.