Snails, Mustafa wasn't kidding!

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Harry
Shrimp
Shrimp

Snails, Mustafa wasn't kidding!

Post by Harry »

These Tarebia granifera snails really do multiply like crazy. Two of my jars are loaded up with snail babies. That's what I see on the glass. I wonder how many are down below?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Snails, Mustafa wasn't kidding!

Post by Mustafa »

There are usually more below than above..unless there is tons of food for them to munch on above the ground.
eightoeight
Egg
Egg

Post by eightoeight »

I was contemplating ordering some snails, but I don't want my tanks overrun with them. I can see the poop between the cracks of the substrate and it kind of bothers me that it's there. If I just put in one...can it still multiply? :P Then if it's just one...how much shrimp poop could it really eat, if any at all hehe.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

As I have said before, you won't be overrun if you don't overfeed (which is difficult to do, of course). Plus, the snails won't do much about shrimp feces...that will accumulate over time and bacteria, fungi etc. will slowly process them; but not fast enough that your tank won't have any organic accumulation at all.
shrimpy4
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by shrimpy4 »

One of my former snails burrowed into my gravel right into the largest accumulation of shrimp waste. What a way to go.