Help my whisker shrimp is pregnant!

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

shrimpcrazy1422
Egg
Egg

Help my whisker shrimp is pregnant!

Post by shrimpcrazy1422 »

I own 2 shrimp, a whisker shrimp named Fried and a Japanese algae eater shrimp named Bubba Gump. I have had both for quite awhile and about a month ago I noticed Fried had little green balls in her stomach area I did some research & found out she was pregnant. I was very excited :-D & I placed her in a breeder box, big mistake!! :( Within 2 days the eggs were gone. And now today I see that she is pregnant again. :D When should I expect her to have the babies? How should I keep her so I can keep more of the babies after they hatch? And does anyone have an idea of what the babies might look like since they r hybrids? Because I have heard that hybrid shrimp tend to be ugly.
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: Help my whisker shrimp is pregnant!

Post by KenCotigirl »

I do not believe they are fertile eggs. I do not know the species of the shrimp you have. Usually you need several shrimp to ensure fertilization. Also some shrimp larvae need special conditions, salt water to grow. Provide a picture.
shrimpcrazy1422
Egg
Egg

Post by shrimpcrazy1422 »

This is a picture of my pregnant shrimp Fried
Attachments
This is as close as a picture of Fried as I could get
This is as close as a picture of Fried as I could get
Pregnant Fried.jpg (160.92 KiB) Viewed 1649 times
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

As Ken said...those eggs won't be fertile and your female will have dropped them by now.