Need help with my shrimp tank - please

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

MyLittleOcean
Egg
Egg

Need help with my shrimp tank - please

Post by MyLittleOcean »

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and new to shrimp breeding as well. I am not sure where to post my questions so i just posted here. hope its fine.

Here is a little background of my tank. I started the tank about 1 and half month ago. Its just small tank but I think I put too many shrimps inside. I put Cherry/fire shrimp (not sure which is the true name) and black n white strip (bumble bee?) and red and white strip(don't know the name). Total of 15 shrimps! But one by one died and now only left with 4 cherry/fire shrimps and two bumble bee.

But three of my exiting cherry/fire shrimps have eggs and now they have hatched. Now my tank has new born little shrimps of about 20 over. I have attached the photos some of them.

The interesting part started a few week ago when my wife bought moss ball from local aquarium shop. I think we bought more than moss ball. After a few days later after we put moss ball inside the tank, we saw additional species inside that little tank!

one of the "strange" species started to form the shape and it becomes a snail! The other species I don't know what is that so I have attached the photo below.

And now the snail started to lay eggs (lots of eggs) in my tank !

Questions
- how should i do with 20 over little shrimps? should I leave them inside that little tank?
- can I leave the snail eggs just like that inside the tank for them to hatch? Will they be harmful to shrimps when they hatch?
- What is that unknown species inside that tank? It seems to be harmless but it moves very very fast!
Attachments
snail eggs n unknown species.jpg
snail eggs n unknown species.jpg (90.06 KiB) Viewed 1224 times
little shrimps.jpg
little shrimps.jpg (99.78 KiB) Viewed 1224 times
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: Need help with my shrimp tank - please

Post by KenCotigirl »

The unknown specie looks like a damsel fly larvae. Maybe dragon fly. Either way they are predators and will eat your shrimp. Remove it immediately or you risk losses. Also be on the look out for more. Google it and you can get more info on feeding habits and life cycle.
Ken
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Need help with my shrimp tank - please

Post by Mustafa »

As for the other questions. Yes, leave the little shrimp in the tank..the adults don't prey on them. And, yes, leave the snail eggs there...they are harmless.